Best way to use a stringer?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by HotFudge, Aug 4, 2012.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

I'm going fishing tomorrow and stupid me forgot to bring a cooler to keep my catches in. Anyways, I found one of those real simple "loop and spike" stringers in my tackle box. How the hell do I use the damn thing? I was thinking drive the spike through the lower jaw, slide the fish down the rope, then drive the spike in the ground in shallow water with the loop secured around it.

Talking about one of these things.

[​IMG]

2. gunguy1997

gunguy1997 New Member

well just with experience (which isn't much)it all depends on what you catch and if you're fishing out of a boat or on the side of a pond in hillbilly land (i speak with experience) or on a dock or wherever.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You put the spikey part through the gill and out the mouth. Then you put the spikey part through that metal loop, forming a continuim of rope, kind of like those chain dog collars. Then you tie the spike end to something sturdy and well anchored. The ring where the oars go on a rowboat, your tackle box, etc.

But it's through the gill and out the mouth. You don't have to spike it through the fish's jaw. :(

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What Winds said up there ^^^. Lady knows her fishing.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If you know for sure you will keep the fish to clean eat, the method above is ok. If it is a fish you would release if you caught a larger one, then push it through the thinner part of the skin on the under side of the jaw and loop it back through the mouth.

Damaging the gills of a fish is more likely to kill it than poking a hole in its mouth. Most do survive catch and release as long as they are not hooked in their gullet or gills. Same concept applies to stringers.

6. winds-of-change

7. winds-of-change

I suppose that's true. I hate inflicting pain on other living things.

8. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yep, don't forget to run the spike thru the metal ring on the first fish. I lost my catch as a kid like that. Good luck !!

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Longer the fish stays alive after catch, the better it will taste too.

I guess I just assumed everyone knew how to use a rope stringer...must be blessed with a family of recreational fishermen.

I used to have a dozen of those metal chain ones. Now THOSE are good stringers.

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I am more inclined to string them thru the bottom jaw and not impead the gills from doing their job for the reason you gave.

11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Exactly. Its amazing the difference honestly (for those not fortunant to have had the experience).

After a long day walleye fishing (switched to northerns for mid day) in Canada years ago, one of the fish had died relatively early into the day (hooked in gills unfortunantly) and had to be put on ice. All the others made it through to the cleaning table. One bite of a certain piece and you could tell it was the one from the ice chest!

It didnt have a foul taste, its just not as..."crisp" I guess would be the way to put it.

This theory has since proven itself time and time again. If you put in the extra effort to keep them alive as long as possible it will be worth it IMHO.

12. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Eh, I didn't even need the damned thing.

Went to a little lake that is allegedly stocked with rainbows and bass every month, didn't get the first bite off of something big. Caught a couple of bluegill, but nothing worth keeping.

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Trout, bass and bluegill usally don't get stocked in the same pond down here anyway. The only time I ever heard of trout being stocked in a pond with bass and bluegill is at fish georgia in the winter, they have a hatchery there. Idk maybe things are different where you live.

It still got you out doing what you like to do in a nice place, huh.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yeah- Rainbows and bass have different temp/ oxygen needs. BTW, this is the lake just up the road from me- built with fees from fishing licenses- open to the public for fishing- no gasoline motors. 65 acres of peace and quiet and great fishing- One state record Largemouth from there.

powhatan lakes.jpg

15. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Well I would use to mow my grass, trim the trees clean the house. If she was hot I would use her for some adult entertainment.

Oh my bad I thought you said stranger not stringer.

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Funny side note: Stringers are illegal in Germany. They consider it cruel to the fish. Once caught, a fish is to be killed immediately and put on ice. They too, think this makes them taste better. :D.

Rather amusing because Germans go to great lengths for fresh trout. They have live trout tanks at supermarkets & restaurants kinda like we have live lobster tanks here in the East Coast. They are also very adept at smoking trout as well.

17. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Well, I'm at a family reunion in a 2nd-rate resort in the Shenandoahs, and the place advertises that they stock Rainbows 10 times a year in a couple acre pond. They made it a point to set limits on bass, so I'm assuming there might be some in there.

Way I see it, it's either too hot for 'em or I just came at a bad time, and that's why I didn't catch anything.

Used the same setup as I did back in May when between me and my dad we bagged about 20 Rainbows on a bigger lake.

18. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Heat up here in MI is starting to kill off the fish or so I hear. Trout of the rainbow variety and many others tend to be cool water fish.

Look deep for them.

19. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Wow, nice double post.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  20. capto56

capto56 New Member

image-2954370381.jpg

This is how you use them :) each stringer weighed roughly 500 pounds that day