Best way to sell personal firearms?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Vincine, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I'm done with rimfire.

I shoot better than the ammunition I can afford, and I can't afford the quality of ammunition I'd need to shoot, as often as I'd have to shoot it, to get better. So I'm gonna sell my rimfire stuff and go back to air guns.

What's the best way to do this? Craig's list? Gun Broker? Donate it to MAIG to use as a fund raiser and take the deduction? Post someplace here? Post it somewhere else? What?

2. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

not an expert by any means but have had better luck at gun shops that sell used than pawn shops, last batch I sold were less than 5 years old and recovered just over 60% of their original value.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I would question your premise, but you are not asking for opinions on that, so moving on. Don't do Craig's list, too much exposure to fraud and even to physical danger. Gunbroker is good, just sell it in one or two installments, otherwise too much hassle and the charges will add up. Donate - you will lose some money. I would donate in person, so you will get respect you deserve locally (Boy Scouts?) One more option is selling at a gun show, if you are going anyway.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

How much you got? ;)

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

That's just about what I'm looking for.

6. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Craigslist does not allow firearms or ammo to be listed.
    I have had good luck with armslist.com if private party sales are allowed in your state.
    Do you have a Marlin 60 in stainless to sell?

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The best way to recover your money from a firearm is to shoot it. People see you shooting the gun. They see you are knocking the bullseye out of the target. Their desire to own your gun over rides their common sense. Before they think things out they have paid way to much for a gun. There is always someone running around with money burning a hole in their pocket. You just have to find them.

I have been on both ends of the deal. It is easy to justify paying to much for a gun you really want. You are paying next years price for the gun this year.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I have not been to a LGS that would buy ammo from a retail customer. Not one.

9. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

List it on armslist, or check to see if the state you reside in has a local "gun trader" website. I've always had a lot of luck dealing locally. Just use your best judgement with the people you do your dealings with.

10. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Most stores have signs prohibiting the return of ammunition. They often say it is Federal Law? I have never found any law regarding this issue. The point is gun stores will not buy ammo from consumers. I use a LGS to sell my orphan guns. They charge 10% of your selling price. They do the Brady Check and file the Form 4472. I believe this covers me regarding any Federal violations. :)

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You cannot return ammunition under any circumstance. Most people who own a business are not going to sell your ammo for you. If something is irregular about the ammo a business buys from an individual the business is liable. There is a good profit in buying ammo from insured distributors and manufacturers.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Let's see here, now, Vini. What are you selling? Maybe I can take some ammo or a nice rimfire off your hands for an agreeable price.....PM me, please.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There are two methods I use:

#1 - Gunbroker.com - Not quite as easy as eBay, but it works well. It's my backup solution.

#2 - Facebook groups - I belong to three firearms trading groups on Facebook for my area. They all focus on Eastern Iowa. I suggest you do a search for FB groups in your area with similar focus. I've sold more firearms using these than Gunbroker.

PM me and let me know what you have. I'm interested in expanding my 22 rimfire collection.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I love my rimfires and wouldn't mind knowing what you have.

15. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

personally anytime in the past i wanted to sell off a gun or two, i used my gun dealer and sold them on consignment. best way if you're not in a hurry and don't need the cash quick. most gun stores charge a small percentage for selling them, but thing is, people go to gun dealers and gun store looking for guns to buy in the first place.

plus the dealer takes care of the legal stuff and makes sure everything is legit. i don't sell to individuals unless i know them personally. too many people looking to buy that way, simply because for whatever reason, they probably can't legally buy a gun to begin with.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Huh. My LGS will buy ammo from many sources, customers included, if the ammo looks ok and the price is right. OP, I also am interested in rim fires, and would like to know what you have.

17. deg

deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't do Facebook!!! However ScottA is spot on - on the local sales sites. My wife looks at everyone's crap and a couple of guys at work scan through "man stuff" sites. Or sell them on this site to one of these good people. Or spread the word at your office, pin it on the bulletin board.

18. AnotherHenryBowman

AnotherHenryBowman New Member

Donate to MAIG?!! Mothers Accepting Inexpensive Guns?

I've done OK on GunBroker - good way to reach to a very large audience. Guns America is another similar site You could also find a dealer that would consign them (my dad has a shop that does a lot of this in MA) or post them here.

As for the general topic of selling personal guns: you never regret the guns you bought, only the one's you sold...

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

No, sorry.