Best way to mount a tang sight?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by seenyr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. seenyr

seenyr New Member

Howdy!
    I'm setting up an H&R 45/70 BC for Long Range Cowboy Action Shooting and need some advice on mounting a tang sight to the stock. (There is no tang).
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    :confused:

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Tang sights are made to mount to a metal tang. I don't think your going to get a good solid mount screwing it to wood.

The Metal on the sights are made to fit specific guns. You would be better off going with a scope.

3. seenyr

seenyr New Member

I was afraid someone would say that...oh well, what's another $600.00 here or there?
    We're talkin' "shootin' here"!
    Thanks for the nudge!

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You COULD weld/install a steel tang (to mount tang peep sight) on your rifle BUT it would be fairly involved and best left to a gunsmith.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If your H&R has a dovetailed rear sight on the barrel,look and see if you can get a flip up dovetail sight like one that comes on a Uberti 1860 Henry rifle. You would probably have to make your own elevation marks on it for a 45/70 caliber tragetory but atleast you could have a long range sight for not too much money.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1860_henry_rifle_lg.jpg

6. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Brownells has an aperture sight that mounts to a rear scope base. You'd have to figure out your elevation on your front sight though. Maybe a blank that you could file to the correct height? Stalkingbear could probably point you in a better direction to adjust for elevation.

I'll see if I can find it in the Brownells catalog and send you a link. Their search function is kinda hit or miss...

7. seenyr

seenyr New Member

I have several Globe front sights which are various heights...maybe doable.
    Thank you all!