Best way to clean melted bag on silencer?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by projectray, Jan 8, 2018.

1. projectray

projectray New Member

Question for you fine folks. Went shooting with my bonehead buddy and he put my canned rifle in its bag before letting it cool down. Now the suppressor has the inner materials (pretty sure it is a foam/nylon material) of the bag melted onto the exterior. It is like a huge black stain! What is the best way to clean it off? Thanks!

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Going to be tough.

Contact the mfg?

I might start with Acetone... maybe Keytone, but that's a pretty aggressive solvent

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Boil it off?

AZdave likes this.
  4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I’d try a hot oven to melt it, set just high enough to melt the plastic, and then blot at it with a lint free cloth. That will get most of it off, but I doubt you’ll ever get all of it off..

5. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Or sand it off. And repaint it with header paint or BBQ grill paint.

SRK97 likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

His problem.......:mad:

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Best answer.

Shopfox, AZdave, SRK97 and 1 other person like this.
  8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure what it would do to the finish, but there is a trick we in the riding community use to remove melted shoe\boot soles from out exhaust pipes. Heat and oven cleaner.

Spray it on, and run the motor in the case fo the bike, but maybe spray it on, and use a small propane torch to heat it up, then wipe with a wet rag. Should come right off, in theory.

however, I don't know what oven cleaner will do to bluing, so my own method would be to take it to a smith, and ask how they would do it. If it's complex, leave it with the smith, and have them do it, pay the bill, and make the "friend" pay you back for it.

then, find a new shooting partner, after a few kicks in the b@lls. Also, make him pay to replace the bag, as that was also ruined.

AZdave and c3shooter like this.
  9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You could try acetone or just use a heat gun and heat up the area that has the melted material on it,then use a rag with acetone to wipe it off.
    Most suppressors are cerakoted,so the acetone shouldn't hurt the finish.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  10. projectray

projectray New Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am going to try the heat and acetone method first and see if that does the trick!

kfox75 and AZdave like this.
  11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Before trying any solvent: Try it on the remnants of the case, and see what it does.

Many plastics are insoluble with most solvents. And, many of the solvents that will melt plastic are flammable. I’m always hesitant about mixing heat, heating sources, and solvents.

AZdave and kfox75 like this.
  12. Txhillbilly

^^^
    There are way too many "Safety Sally's" on this forum anymore.
    If you don't have the common sense to clean melted plastic off of something,Why in the hell do you guy's own firearms in the first place-They can be very dangerous!!!

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Acetone... oven

Sounds too much like a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

14. Txhillbilly

Who said anything about an oven?
    All he needs to do is take a heat gun or hair dryer,and heat the area of the can that has the material on it,then take a rag with some acetone on it,and wipe the stuff off.

You guy's kill me on how stupid you turn things around!

And,If you don't own or use suppressor's,you shouldn't be committing on the subject to begin with,since you have zero knowledge about how to clean stuff off of them.

15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Don't put oven cleaner on aluminum. It will remove anodizing. It will also remove bluing on steel.
    And, I don't own or use suppressors- but I damn sure know a lot about metal finishes!

jigs-n-fixture and kfox75 like this.
  16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Heat then acetone should do it.

Only need enough heat to melt the stuff. No need to get the metal all that hot.

17. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

depending on how thick the residue is, one might try putting it into the freezer for a few hours and peeling off the residue, then using a rag soaked in acetone to remove the rest of the residue. i would resist using heat with the acetone, not so much as fire hazard, but that acetone is highly evaporative and it would probably evaporate before doing any good using it with heat.

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you Bill. that's why I did post to check with a smith before even considering trying it. And it answered my question on it as well.

Dallas53 likes this.
  19. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i did reread your post! oven cleaner is some pretty aggressive stuff. yes i have seen people use on chrome before to clean it. i have used it as a paint remover at times.

it works well on ovens because the interiors are coated in ceramic or porcelain. i don't know if it would remove anodizing or not as Bill suggested, but i'll bet it would.

jigs-n-fixture and kfox75 like this.
  20. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Oven cleaner is what I use to remove aluminum anodizing before refinishing it.

Kilgore and kfox75 like this.