Best way to clean live ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DHall_37, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

At one time I was shooting a lot of corrosive ammo. I rigged up a thrift store purchased coffee maker to clean the barrels of my rifles. It does a fine job and leaves the barrel nice and hot to receive the Hoppes.

primer1 likes this.
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

He’s 17 PeeJay! ;)

DHall_37 and PeeJay1313 like this.

3. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I kinda figured something like that.

DHall_37 and Rifling82 like this.
  4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

keep WD40 away from anything related to firearms, including ammo

PeeJay1313, TelstaR, PANDEMIC and 2 others like this.
  5. TelstaR

TelstaR Well-Known Member

I would not tumble or vibrate loaded ammo. If whatever is on the cartridge is so bad that you cant scrub it off with a dry cloth and there is so much of it that is concerns you, I simply would not use the ammo.

I am no expert but I would think that vibrating the rounds in a machine could alter the properties of the powder. If the powder happens to burn at a different rate, cant that change the pressure? I wouldnt do it

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

I vibrate after loading for a short period of time, like 10 minutes... just enough to knock off the lube. Have not seen any difference in Chrono. Might make for an interesting experiment, some don't clean, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, and 30 minutes.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You do realize that every round of commercial made ammo is transported in 18 wheeler's hundred's to thousand's of miles across the country. Our highway's and roads are not a smooth journey by any means.
    If transporting ammo doesn't affect the gun powder, tossing it into a tumbler won't either.

DHall_37 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. TelstaR

TelstaR Well-Known Member

if you want to draw some manner of equivalence between the happenstance movement of ammo during transport and a machine that vibrates the heck out of objects enough to polish them,... I have no words. If that were the case, there might not be any such thing as sugar cubes, common aspirin and countless other things.

I hate to tell you Bro but this issue has long since been reviewed. Just for fun, ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. are their any warnings on the side of power containers that caution against shaking or vibration?

2. Do any of the component manufacturers have warnings regarding vibrating or tumbling live ammo?

3. have any component manufactures or their agents gone on record regarding their opinions on vibrating or tumbling of live ammo.

4. have there been any tests regarding the tumbling or vibrating of live ammo

I wont tell anyone what to think but based on what I have read as of a decade ago, I would not do it. Thats just me. All I would suggest is that [if] a person has formed an opinion on this issue without having reviewed all the readily available information on the subject, they might want to seek it out.

I generally err on the side of caution. I accept that others may not and I have no beef with that, its just a different way of doing things.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.