Best Way to Carry Handgun in Kayak?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gunsmithy, May 22, 2007.

1. gunsmithy

gunsmithy New Member

I do some canoing and kayaking in lakes and rivers, and often carry a handgun. Especially in rivers, there's always a fair chance of an unplanned swim. I usually carry a handgun buried in a zip lock bag or two, in the bottom of a waterproof river pack that is connected either to me or the boat. This generally keeps it safe, but is not very accessible. I also tend to bring an inexpensive gun that I wouldn't feel TOO bad about losing (like a Makarov - I have several Bulgarians I picked up when they were cheap). I'm planning another river trip in a few weeks, and am thinking that I'd like to find a better way to carry my gun. Anyone know of a waterproof holster or pouch that would work for this? I'm thinking of upgrading to a stainless Taurus Millenium Pro .40 for this purpose. The Safepacker looks interesting, though it doesn't look waterproof. Maybe with a stainless and polymer gun, I should just not worry about it getting wet and just dry it at the end of the day. Suggestions?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I know I'd feel very sad to lose my Bulgy Mak!

3. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

A kydex holster will hold up well to water. Lube a stainless pistol, with lithium grease and you should be fine.Electro nickel plating may be something to look at as well. It does very good against water.

4. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

I guess it depends on how accessable you need it. Rolled up in a SeaLine baja bag should keep it plenty waterproof and it would float if tossed overboard. If you want to have quick access to it while paddling (there's a new Olympic sport! Canoe shooting.) I'd pick up a used compact Glock or similar polymer frame handgun with good coatings and just make sure you lube it plenty.

The Makarovs rust so darn quick I avoid taking mine anywhere other than to the range.

5. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

6. Spartan

Spartan New Member

hmmmmm

the idea of my weapon not readily accessible and stuffed into a zip lock back is frightening to me. i know that there are options available in regards to water proof carrying, or at least water resistant. i know that military pilots have certain options that allow for water resistance due to the off chance that they may eject into water. but the lubing and kydex is a good idea, personally i would rather have the weapon accessible then not. also, in such cases, look at what you carry, and possibly consider carrying something different, such as a polymer framed weapon. less metal. take a look at the torture tests on the weapons, by far i find that XD exceeds them all, i wouldnt question the ability of the weapon to be fired coming directly out of the water.