Best way to break in a new AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kygator13, Dec 20, 2013.

1. kygator13

kygator13 New Member

I was able to purchase my first AR the other day. So far I have just cleaned the factory oils and dust off my rifle but nothing in the barrel. What are some best practices to break in a new rifle?

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oil and shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I just clean them thoroughly of all factory junk feline and go shoot.

I'm convinced that voodoo rituals of scrubbing after x rounds y times does pretty much nothing.

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It depends on the Barrel. A Non-chrome lined barrel will require some shooting, cleaning, then shooting again to season(strengthen the bore) barrel properly. If you have a Manual, it should say in it, but to also keep Warranty in effect. An un-chromed barrel will NOT take the abuse like a Chrome-Lined barrel can take. That's not saying you can't do a 10/20/30-shot Mag dump, just can't do it Mag after Mag.
    A Chrome-lined Barrel is cleaned and shot ever how you like.

I forgot: sent from home PC not using tapatalk. Just a little rub for the mobile users

5. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Chrome lining gives you about 10k more rounds before the barrel is shot out than a ss barrel. Wear rate from heavy use is the same.

I've got two ar that are high enough quality I consider precision bores both are ss barrels one I did the shoot clean shoot clean etc ritual the other I just took it and shot it. After initial cleanings of course. Both are able to turn in 1/4 moa groups at 100yds. If there is a diff tween a complicated cleaning breakin and not doing it I haven't seen quantifiable proof it helps other than opinion to date.

You can do the ritual or not it doesn't hurt anything one way or the other. If the barrel maker has a breakin procedure it can't hurt to follow it but the fact every high end maker has a different oppinion on how it's done and the why's of it and a different way to do it is proof to me that it really doesn't matter

I do highly recommend the jp bore cleaning guide whatever you do. Just an awesome tool for cleaning

7. kygator13

kygator13 New Member

I have a chrome lined barrel on mine. Thanks fir all of the tips

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

My .308 AR barrel came from DPMS and their instructions was to clean after each shot for the first 10 and then clean after every 10 till you get to 200. I'm not sure its worth the trouble but like someone else said it couldn't hurt anything.

10. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

Does anyone know if the Melonite barrels last the same as chromed and do they require any special cleaning/handling ?

DropZ

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Clean it , shoot it, shoot it, shoot it , shoot it, and shoot it some more .

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I just run a lightly oiled patch down a new-to-me barrel to remove gunk and possible obstructions then lube the BCG and shoot a lot! Wives tales about break in are a waste of time for common barrels.

13. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

The bloom of new rifle love!!

Ballistol... Bore snake... decent quality ammo... Your best friends on the range!! ;)

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

No special handling is required for Melonite barrels. I don't know the longevity, except that to test it you need a very large expense account.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A quality new AR is gtg out of the box. Congratulations on it.