Best value cleaning equipment?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JT426, Sep 22, 2011.

1. JT426

JT426 New Member

I have a Remington 700P in .308.

I've been looking at the Bore Tech patch guide and cleaning rods but I can't justify spending almost $100 on a cleaning rod/bore guide. It looks like a really great system but it sure is pricey! What's the best alternative?

I want a 44" coated cleaning rod and a decent bore guide that will protect my bore. Preferably made in the USA. What do you guys use?

Thanks!

2. a7mmnut

a7mmnut New Member

An outers kit at Walmart should be under $20.

-7-

3. JT426

JT426 New Member

I don't think Outers makes a rod long enough.. I need a 44" rod so I can clean from the bolt side of the bore and have enough length for the 26" barrel and the bore guide.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Buy 2 0f 'em!:D

Seriously, for a barrel that long you

probably want a good rod, not a Wal-mart quick kit.

5. JT426

JT426 New Member

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You're welcome.

It's what we do. ;)

[​IMG]

7. a7mmnut

a7mmnut New Member

Maybe it was the Hoppe's kit, anyway I have two shotguns with 36" bbls. and it works with the longer tip accessories. A good coated rod one piece rod will cost more than two aluminum kits. A plastic chamber guide will help, and is fairly inexpensive.

-7-

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Bore snake, starting fluid, clp, & cotton rag.

9. lobster

lobster New Member

I think aluminum is too soft and could end up leaving residue inside the barrel. I like coated rods for worthwhile rifles.
    I would also like to find a 9mm hi-power

10. marklonewolf

marklonewolf New Member

I really like my bore snake it does a great job and you can use it in the field without carrying allot of stuff.

11. eon047

eon047 New Member

I really like the Otis cleaning kits. I got the "elite" one and it came with just about everything I needed. It also comes with a dvd as well for those a little clueless on cleaning, but I've never watched it so I can't tell you if its worth it.