Best value $100-$300 rifle scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Poink88, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Planning on buying a .308 rifle either a:
    - Remington 700 SPS or
    - Savage 10 10FP

Need recommendation on BEST VALUE scope less than $200 (can go up to $300 if really needed). It will be used for (occasional) deer hunting and I want 3-9x40 (at least). I want one that will last since I believe/plan on buying once.

I also need help choosing good mount and scope rings.

If there is a good package deal you can recommend with any of the rifle stated above that would be super.

I am not in a hurry since the purchase may not happen until late summer (unless I find a great deal before hand).

Thank you.

2. Brad

Brad New Member

I bought a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 for my 700 and I love it. Not expensive and holds up to any conditions one might throw at it. Roughly $120 or so.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Nikon Buckmaster, Bushnell 3200, Weaver V9 or V10, and Nikon Prostaff all will fall within your price range easily and hold up from now on. Whatever set of scope rings/bases you get try to stay with steel-especially on the rings. There's too many brands/models for me to recommend on what might or might not be available in your area. I'd HIGHLY suggest to mount the scope as low as possible over the bore. Stay away from combo packages as they typically put the cheapest scopes they can on the factory combos. The only way a combo will be good is if the retailer puts a decent scope on there, and offers it as a combo.

5. Mutabam

Mutabam New Member

I've been really happy with my Bushnell Elite 3200, which is around $300 @ Amazon.com.

6. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Me I would stay away from anything Barska. All the scopes Bear listed and the Weaver that Jpatterson talked about are great quality to price scopes. If I were you I would save up a little more cash and go with a scope at or slightly above $300.

Also take a look at Mueller Optics. I know a bunch of guys that love them.

For the best online prices and free shipping on most items. check out OpticsPlanet.com

8. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I've heard to stay away from Barska, why? I mean in particular what have their faults been? I'm just curious so I know what to look for.

9. stalkingbear

I just bought a Barska magnified red dot sight and couldn't get it zeroed for anything. Come to find out the adjustments are completely opposite of what they're marked. Yes I'm positive I have it mounted correctly and the right end forward. It's now zeroed but if I had it to do over I wouldn't buy it.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Seen someone take 2 shots with a 222 rem remy 700 and the scope fell apart on the inside. They are dark the adjustments don't track at all. They will not shoot a box test worth a darn because the adjustments are not tracking properly.

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Looks like I'll be looking for a different scope then, I wont touch BSA because of all the trouble I've had with them thus far. I may just have to shell out for a $400 scope, especially since I have to have more magnification than everyone else. When you might need a 9x I might need an 14x, 18x or even a 20x to see the samething as you are because of my vision. Kinda suuucks... :rolleyes:

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Do you wear glasses? If so do you where them to shoot?

I have 2 Nikon Monarchs and swear by them. I have a 6.5-20x42mm and a 6-24x50mm.... These are both on varmint rifles so that is why they are so high powdered. Now these are $100+ out of the $400 price range but they are worth every penny extra you spend. I also have a Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40mm It too is a $500 scope.

There are many on here that tell you you need a $1000+ piece of glass on top of your rifle I say you don't. I will prove them wrong on the range and in the field as well. There is a place for $1000 glass but I have no need for it right now.

13. Missileman

Missileman New Member

For around $300 (3x9) I've had great performance from Weaver Grand Slams--never an issue with any of them.

14. stalkingbear

You can get a Weaver V-16 (4x-16x-42mm) for 300$ or a little less. I have personal experience with them and they're decent scopes. The Weaver V-24 (6x-24x-42mm) are about the same price.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

After reading the responses and further research (some older threads here and online), I bought a Weaver Grand Slam 2-10x40 (new) for $222.50 + $12.17 shipping (total $234.67).

I hope I made the right choice.

Thanks guys!!!

17. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Yes, I use glasses when I shoot, I need them in order to clear up what vision I do have beyond arms length. I have 20/200 vision. So what an average 20/20 vision person can read at 200 feet I cant see it too clearly and read it until I'm 20 feet from it.

I've come to the conclusion that when someone else needs a 3-9 scope I probably need a 6-20 scope or there-abouts.

What do you think of the quality on this scope--
    Weaver 40/44 with 6.5-20x44mm Adjustable Objective Riflescope
    Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44 Riflescope FREE S&H 849550, 849552. Weaver 40/44 Riflescopes, Weaver Riflescopes.
    It seems like a really good deal to me.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't think you will be unhappy with that weaver.

19. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Is this addressed to me or Ruzai?

If it is for me, I expect that from you...being one of the influence (probably w/o knowing it) for making my choice. You posted a few endorsements a while back for Weaver Grand Slam ;)

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well Weaver has been making optics for some time now. I remember finding an ugly sight on my grandmother's Browning that turned out to be a Weaver Qwik Point, which was pretty much the same thing as a red-dot sight before red-dots were a dime-a-dozen.
    As often as I see reviews for optics I never hear anything bad about Weaver, and all the bad is usually something that comes out because people dont like to be cheated out of their money too often ya know? :D
    Its why this is pretty much the scope that I've settled on for now, unless I find one in a store that's just as reliable looking as this one for a slightly lower price.