Best ULTRA-Long Range Caliber?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rigor, Jul 26, 2011.

1. .338 Lapua

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. .375 CheyTac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. .408 CheyTac

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. .416 Barrett

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. .50 BMG (12.7x99mm)

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Rigor

Rigor New Member

I'm sure the differences in performance are miniscule, but I thought this was worth a shot anyway. Anyone have experience with any of the above? Thanks!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

can you even see that far??

3. Rigor

Rigor New Member

With the right optics it's entirely possible. 2500-yard shots are quite achievable and even consistent with the right gear.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Well then.....what's the answer?

5. Rigor

Rigor New Member

haha i honestly don't know, that's why im asking u guys!!

6. culdee

culdee New Member

most accurate

The instructor at Storm Mountain asked me which rifle was the most accurate, my Remington 5R or my daughter's. I told him, whichever one she was shooting :D

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nothing beat size and mass. 750 or 800gr of copper and lead zooming down range from a 50bmg will always be KING...

8. Rigor

Rigor New Member

I respectfully disagree. The .408 CheyTac, for example, has more kinetic energy than the .50 BMG past 400 yards. It also has a higher BC and is 1/3 the weight. The CheyTac Intervention M200 has the world record for tightest shot grouping at 2300 yards, while still having significantly less recoil than the 50.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I agree- BUT
    Given all that PLUS anuther few thousand $'s in equipment dont mean ANYTHING without a few yrs training :rolleyes:
    Give a novice a million in equipment & a million to make the shot & he'll come up short - WAY short :(

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well i picked the .416 because its supposed to be able to outperform the .50 bmg. and the longest .50 bmg shot is 2,430 metres. so in theory the .416 should be a better choice... but hey what do i know lol.. its not like i shoot that far everyday.. or ever

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK you go stand at 2300 yards and let me shoot you with one of each then you tell me which one hurts worse.

No one is even using the cheytech because they SUCK and they are more expensive that all get out.

Look if you want to depate the merrits of the 50. Fine by me. I will see your sissy cheytech and raise you one 20mm rifle. 1600gr of death and destruction good to 3k yards.

20MM Take-Down Rifle - Anzio Ironworks

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

.416 Barrett would be my first choice then .50 BMG.

13. Rigor

Rigor New Member

Take it easy, bro. I'm simply stating facts. And aside from the economic hardships of the company in question, I'm curious to know why the admittedly expensive CheyTac Intervention M200 "sucks."

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

hitting a stationary target at 1.4 miles is a matter of technological refinement. hitting a randomly moving target how people animals move at that distance is a matter of luck, even with a fancy computerized springdoodle rifle.

15. nearwolf

nearwolf New Member

Last I heard, the record distance for a head shot was held by a Brit in Afghanistan using a Barrett .50. Other cartridges might have a on paper advantage but the .50 seems to be on top in the real world.

16. powg

powg New Member

1 caliber not mentioned.

I voted for the the .416 barrett ......what about the 14mm russian ? Is there any actual data on this caliber? What could it theoretically do in a better gun platform such as an American made Barrett or a One- off built by Kenny Jerret or another American riflesmith?

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From Wikipedia, Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,475 m (2,707 yd) and was achieved by CoH Craig Harrison, a sniper from the Household Cavalry of the British Army. It was accomplished in an engagement in November 2009 in which two stationary Taliban machine gunners were killed south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan with two consecutive shots by CoH Harrison using an Accuracy International L115A3 Long Range Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum.​

18. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

You forgot "AND the FEW right shooter".

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

Oh I get it. You are not looking for opinions or experince. You are just looking to show what you know and debate others... Ok, carry on...

20. nearwolf

nearwolf New Member

OK.. learned something today...

OK, things I learned today... 1: never say anything without research, footnotes, bibliographies, etc. and 2: just never say anything.