Best "Truck Gun"

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My son is putting together his truck (Actually a full-size Bronco) and is wanting to get some input on the "perfect truck gun". He is thinking a carbine of some sort. He and I have some ideas but we would like to see what others think.

Open fire!

2. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I use to have a youth model Remington 710 I thought it was perfect for me. it was in 243 It was about the size of an m4 I think

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

It really depends on what kind of shooting you plan on doing. Centerfire, rimfire, shotgun??? Auto, bolt, lever, pump??? I love Marlin levers but wouldn't want to leave it in the truck. I'm thinking something like a Hi-Point 995 carbine or an H&R shotgun.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

There are far to many variables in that question for it to be answered.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Back in texas my "truck gun" was my colt ar15sp1. I had a bench seat truck and it fit under the edge of the front seat totaly out of sight even with either door open using a 20 round mag. It sat on the carpeted tranny hump so it never got banged around or metal on metal action.

Truck gun today... i would have to get a carbine of some sort but its nit legal to carry uncased loadedrifles in a vehicle in wisconsin.

6. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

I agree 100 percent I love my 30 30 but wouldn't dare leave it in there

7. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

I wouldn't leave any of my rifles in my truck I do however have a hi point 380 pistol I leave under the seat don't cost nothing and has fired ever time I pulled the trigger don't get me wrong I am in no way endorsing hi point but they are cheap enough

8. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

Marlin has a few nice looking short barreled lever actions, but they're a little high priced compared to their regular 336C.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You need to have a little imagination. But just in case, for a little clarification, he is making it into a camping/rockcrawler/survival truck. The truck with the "truck gun" will not be in a daily driver (IE parked out on the street somewhere for the day). We live out in the country where we can park the cars with the keys in the ignition.

Marlin lever guns are on our list, there are some others that have not been mentioned.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

M44. reliable, powerful, cheap, cheap ammo, fun, bayonet (roasts hotdogs with muzzle blast I hear) and reasonably accurate. What else could you want?

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Meh. OK, maybe.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well one of the more common truck guns in my circles is the SKS. The ammo is more common, and it's a semi.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My boys and I might show a little prejudice in the guns we own. Other than the Glock and the odd Beretta or three they are generally American guns. Not that that is a requirement, but we (he) would probably be prejudiced towards an American gun.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well, in my opinion, most American guns are much nicer, which puts them out of the beater realm.

A marlin lever gun, a Ruger .44 semi like fmj has, or a M1 carbine, are all compact, sturdy, reliable, and American made.

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I would suggest a M1 carbine?
    I want a IHC M1 Garand for my truck gun....

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Why does a truck gun need to be a long arm. Get a Glock 20 with several extra mags all in a push botton safe box mounted in the rig. OR a beater mini 14 in 7.62x39 mounted in a leo type box or rack.

17. FAS1

FAS1 Member

If not a handgun how about a S2K (Made in the USA)? Do you want a rifle caliber?

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not legal in CA as far as I know. Folding stock. That would definitely be a top contender in my book though if it was legal here.

It does not have to be a rifle caliber, as a matter of fact I would prefer a single caliber for both pistol and rifle.

Good choice.

19. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Perhaps a used 12-gauge shotgun - shotguns seem to resell inexpensively, and a tube mag full of buckshot keeps a whole lot of damage at the ready.

20. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I gotta go with the AR, that and 10 loaded 20 rd mags, (180 rds).

It fits real nice behind the pick-up seat or in the car trunk. This one has around 200,000 miles ON it with only probably 500 rds THRU it. "Low mileage, one owner" so to speak. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Lucky for us loaded and anyplace in the vehicle is legal with our CCW permit.

OOPS! sorry!! just now noticed where you are at. Might wanna forget about the AR.