best thing to use to clean handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ownspitbull, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Ownspitbull

Ownspitbull New Member

Im a newbie and just got a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun. Whats the best things to use to clean it? In the stores like Wal-Mart I see Rem Oil alot but I would think that would be used just to oil and lubricate my pistol rather than clean it.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I use Ballistol. Generally you cannot find it in local stores so you'll have to buy it from somewhere like Brownells or Ballistol's website. In my opinion it is the cream of the crop when it comes to cleaning and maintaining a firearm.

3. EagleSix

EagleSix New Member

Here is a link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f102/gun-cleaning-input-48564/

When I copied the link there were 707 opinions on how to clean guns.....enjoy....

4. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Hoppe's No.9 solvent is popular, does a decent job and is readily available pretty much everywhere. Also, I have used, and like for that fact, Gunzilla. I use it at work, and it does a great job.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I like RemOil as a general purpose cleaner/lubricator. It's my primary cleaning fluid when I return home from the range. But do use something a little more slippery on your rails.

I've got some stuff called "Slip 2000" that's outstanding for rails. Probably costs more than necessary, probably could easily be replaced by 90% cheaper motor oil...but what the heck, that little $12 bottle will last me a few years.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I like Hoppes #9 also, for the bore & Sweet 7.2 is also good for bore cleaning. However, I wouldn't recommend them if your gun has a nickle finish. The amonia can attack the copper sub base under the nickle & cause it to flake off.

For the rest of it, I like M-Pro-7 as it does a good job without damage to grips, etc. I follow that up with a non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray from the auto store. The strong spray can dislodge crud down in the nooks & crannies where you can't get with a brush, or even a pipe cleaner. On my pistols, I stick the nozzle in the firing pin hole & in the extractor channel & spray until clear liquid is running out the back of the slide. Let 'em set for 10-15 minutes until dry, then lube. If you have compressed air, you can shorten the wait time.

7. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I would remove the firing pin before I sprayed anything in there.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

For general cleaning and lube, Breakfree or FP10 work very well. If I get some leading a brush down the bore does the trick. I've never had a handgun so dirty I needed anything as strong as Brake cleaner or sweets.

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I do about every 500 rounds or so, as well as the extractor. The brake cleaner isn't oily & doesn't seem to leave a residue. I take them out to clean thoroughly because I realize the spray won't get it all, but it does minimize the collection.

10. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

You heard the man!

Like my man said, Ballistol!! is all you need. This stuff cleans, protects, lubes, and preserve all in one!! Not too many products i know that can do all that:p If i couldnt get any, maybe Hoppes#9 would be next. Trust me my friend, you wont be disappointed:D

11. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Silikroil is also a good product that I use.

12. enit2winit

enit2winit New Member

Any opinions on Froglube?

13. Bushman

Bushman Member

I heard it gives you warts.. ;)

14. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

15. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

WD-40 has been considered the go to lube for a long time. My experience with it is not good. I did some research on WD-40. It is 98% kerosene with some additives. You spray a weapon down with it and a couple months later it is a varnish like gunk that will lock some small parts together. Had to share my shotgun with a friend who's Browning auto shotgun froze up on a duck hunt. He used WD-40. Granted it was cold but that's what kerosine does. There's better lube out there.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

WD-40 = Water Displacement formula on the 40th attempt.

Water displacement does not equal lubrication.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

18. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

thats why I use rem oil last

19. Bushman

Bushman Member

For something easy and proven: Hoppe's No. 9
    For something you make and proven: Ed's Red (LINK)
    Ed's Red' Bore Cleaner

20. LukeM

LukeM New Member

I use Brake-Free which I think is a carryover from being in the military.