best thing to keep on hand

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by unclebear, Oct 14, 2011.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I went to go out in the woods this morning it was cold and so I stopped into wally world and walking through the sporting section I grabbed a couple of cans of Sterno. Best stuff I've ever used to start a fire, I just piled up a bunch of wet branch's over the can in the fire pit lite the can and after 10 minutes the entire wet pile of branch's lit up, got a nice fire going even though it started to rain. :D

2. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

Good thinking Unclebear. I used to use that a lot 30 yrs ago but had forgotten. We have a bunch of partial cans here at work left over from a catered dinner. Now I know how to recycle them.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

They sell sterno at Wally world? Wow, I'll have to snag some. Is it under a different name or anything?

4. OC357

OC357 New Member

Look for it in the camping dpt. I saw "sterno" there today.

OC

5. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

They sell it in the pots and pans area at our store. For chaffing dishes to use.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ah well, I'll just browse. There's always something at Wally world I need.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Sternos work fantastic. I used to work for a catering company and I would always take home a bunch of left over ones to use on camping trips. I need to grab a few to stuff in the bug out bag.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I used to work for Cisco systems near Raleigh Durham NC, and they got catered food all the time, and that's where I used to get sternos.

Trez, thats a great idea, I think I've got an article on that in a backwoodsman magazine.

11. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

Road flares work great for starting fires in less than optimal conditions.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I'll have to make one of the better ones at least you can see the flame on those, I couldn't see the flame on the sterno cans burn't my damn hand.

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Burning brush piles

We had weatern red ceader take over in some places on our place (pastures), had em dozed into tree piles, we'd wate till we had a good snow cover, we'd set them alight useing old car tires and diesel fuel with some old brown paper cattle feed bags as tinder, they'd burn & smoulder right through blizzards.

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Now I'm going to have to try that. Open flame only, or would this apply to an electric stove too?

16. adjusterr

adjusterr New Member

firestarters

There are many neat ways to start fires, cotton balls soaked in vaseline, etc. One of the best I've found is the process I use for my woodstove. I buy one of the "Fireplace Logs" at Wallyworld, cut it into chunks the size of a walnut then put it in a ziplock bag. put a chunk in your stove, or your campfire site, put your tinder over it and light it up.