Best Target Shooting/ Home Defense Ammo For SKS?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by 1stMarine, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

What is the best 7.62x39 ammo for a yugoslavian sks for both target shooting and home defense because wolf ammo isn't cutting it and fouls my friends barrel really quickly. Do you reccomend hollow points or fmjs or whatever. Thanks for any help I can relay to him.

Never Forget.

2. ak47dunner

ak47dunner New Member

For home defense I would go with hornady ballistic tips... The expansion of this round is insane, however its kind of a waste for target shooting because they are a bit expensive.

3. ak47dunner

ak47dunner New Member

Hornady round

Attached Files:

4. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Yeah thoes are nice.i have some for my 357 and make big ****in holes.

ForumRunner_20120117_142834.jpg

5. sksmerc

sksmerc New Member

i use hollow point herters ammo cheap at cabella about 4 bucks a box they are aways on sale at the one here. and they shoot great out of my yugo i use them for everything my barrel is solid.

6. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Do they foul up the gas system too much? Wolf turns it into a chimney after around 30 rds

Never Forget.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

But the sks doesnt care about being dirty, it'll still fire without issues. Thats all i use in my yugo, its dirty but those reliable soviet bloc rifles were made for it.

8. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Yeah, it still fires, its just not fun getting all that crap out

Never Forget.

9. sksmerc

sksmerc New Member

I don't have any problems i do clean regularly but I have slacked before and after putting a lot through it still shoots good and i just take apart my gas system give it a quick wipe down and its good. I like the impact on them too for the price i think its a awesome round. I don't want to spend a lot on ammo for a sks figure you could shoot rocks out of them

10. assain618

assain618 New Member

i use monarch fmj, in my norinco. shoots fine hits hard and reliable. (all ammo is going to get your gun dirty at some point)

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have shot thousands of wolf ammo in my Yugo SKS with no problems.

12. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

The only time I have any problem with SKS ammo was hollow points that were fed by a 30 round box mag (yugo). & that was a mag issue not the rifle.
    Other than that a properly maintained SKS will cycle rocks you find on river banks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  13. Werminator

Werminator Member

For putting rounds down range the herter's 122 or 123 grain HP and fmj bullets are cheap and effective. If it came down to putting lead to flesh I would.use their 154 grain soft point rounds. At 100 yards the heavier rounds were much more accurate from my norinco and they put some good size holes in my backdrop board...