best sub compact?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by tbruins37, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

My old lady really wants a sub. I've never been to keen to them, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. She did say she wants a 9mm.

2. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Glock 26. They're easy to operate, and will eat any kind of bullets.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife likes her Ruger SR9c. It fits her small hands better than the Glocks. About 28 oz loaded with the 10 rnd mag +1. It has a thumb safety in addition to the trigger safety and I think a better trigger.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The Glock 26 is a fine gun, as are other subcompacts like the XD9sc...just so long as the fatty grip isn't a problem. Ruger's SR9c is a slimmer double-stack option, and their micro LC9 has received mostly good reviews so far. But probably the best place to start if she wants something tiny, yet shootable, would be Kahr. They offer a number of different subcompact single stacks that tend to handle a little better than most micros. Check out the Kahr CM9 and CW9.

Also- If she wants to carry it in her purse, a revolver would be strongly advised.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Can we really call any double stack as a sub-compact?

6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Ruger LC9 7+1 light and accurate.

7. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

For what it's worth, I've been trying out an XD 9mm w/ 3.1 inch barrel for a few months (nice rental agreement towards purchase of new gun). Comes with two magazines. One is pretty short for minimum CCW size (13+1). The other has a butt extension that adds 4 more rounds (17+1). Grip is not very fat even with all those rounds in it.

They also have an XD(M) version w/ 3.8 inch barrel and similar magazines. The long one actually holds 19 (+1). The XD(M) comes with changeable grip pads to help fit the handle to the hand.

I'll probably go with the XD(M) version. Hope to pick mine up this week.

8. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Haha rental agreement? I've never heard of that. Didn't know that was possible.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Its all on the gun store or range owner. I've heard of it, sometimes a certain percentage of your rental fee can go to the price of a new gun, if the seller is willing and you arrange it with them.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Tulsa Firearms rental agreement is pretty simple. 100% of rental fees (within the past year) apply directly to purchase of a weapon. Not a special buddy deal, it's standard procedure for this range. They have a good selection of rentals. I've tried guns from .22 to .45, revolvers and semi-autos. Been shooting about weekly since mid July. Makes a pretty nice discount. I'm getting my first gun, an XD(M) 9mm w/ 3.8" barrel on Wednesday.

11. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

XD9sc...no worries about it going off in her purse when her hair brush gets hung up in the trigger.

12. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Hahahaha that's classic. I showed her that post, and she said "you must have told them I'm some kind of priest pants girly girl." Haha. Though she isn't that bad, I would feel better knowing there's extra precautions in case something in that black hole she calls a purse decides it wants to grow hands.

13. gilfo

gilfo Member

Kahr CM9 or Walther P99c, they are what I found to fit my small hands the best.

14. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

The Kahr CW9 that I claim is actually my wifes, She's petite small hands when she felt it she knew. But since I bought the Ruger LC9 we traded. She keeps it in her purse along w/god knows what else we like the external safety and long trigger pull on the LC. With the Kahr if something would catch the trigger BANG. If your wife is gonna holster it get the Kahr,jmo I also have an XDSC40 she shoots it well , but fully loaded its a lot of gun for her to carry around

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The XDm9mm at my bedside is still almost too big for my hands with the smallest backstrap. I love my Kahrs for carry, though. I don't know why everyone is suggesting the inexpensive Kahrs. The Kahr K9 is a beautiful thin 9mm. They fit my hand perfectly and my wife enjoys shooting my Kahrs. The trigger is very smooth and the grip is single stack.

16. WilliamTF

WilliamTF New Member

Well I guess the reason I suggested the $550.00 inexpensive CW9,(we bought it in the spring of 09 when the ONO admin had everyone freaked out and gun sales were boomn) is I don't have any experience with the PM series and the rest. A while back I was thinking of dropn a grand for a PM w/ext safety. But I'm glad I didn't the CW shoot,functions and conceals great that's good enough for me with some $ left over.

17. rhinotec72

rhinotec72 New Member

Springfeild EMP 1911 in 9mm.

18. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I feel for the money spent the S&W Bodyguard 380 is the best out there. If you check around you can find dealers who will sell for $325.00 NIB even if you paid the $399.00 Sud Retail it is still a good deal!

I am waiting for an extended mag to come out! This fits in an arm pit with out any one knowing! It is very light and after a few cleanings and several hundred rounds thru trigger pull gets acceptible. Fixed sights are good, lazer helps you learn hip shooting.

I know it would be heavier but I would buy another in SS if it comes available.

19. KRSG27

KRSG27 New Member

I purchased a Glock 27. Haven't shot it yet, but there is a range by my house.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

20. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Agree with ScottA. Depends on what you mean by subcompact. While my Bersa is named "Ultra Compact", it isn't. It's as compact as you're going to get in a gun that can carry 13+1 rounds of 9mm. But, what I call a subcompact is something like my Kahr CM9. It's 4 1/2 inches long, 4 inches high, under an inch wide, and weighs under a pound (14 ounces).

So if you are talking about a true subcompact, the Kahr I mentioned is an excellent choice. I've heard the Ruger LC9's are good, but a little harder to conceal, in my opinion. There's the Kimber solo, but I think they are overpriced (like most Kimbers) and Gun Tests magazine had some issues with them. The Sig P290 seems to be a good gun, but I don't know that much about them.

And concerning carrying in a purse and worrying about the hair brush setting it off, no matter where you carry a gun, it should NEVER be carried loose, and NEVER in proximity to other objects. That is a recipe for disaster. Something can engage the trigger....bang. Something can get in the barrel, so if you try to use it....boom. And the guns action can get clogged with dirt, lint and other debris, causing the gun to malfunction. Plus, if you need it in a hurry, you don't wan t to be performing a juggling act. Takes my wife 5 minutes to find her keys in that bottomless pit she calls a purse. And she's going to put a gun in there? I don't think so.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012