Best sub 30$ edc knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by beastmode986, Apr 3, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Whats a good edc knife for under 30$ ? Preferably with a blade under 3 inches, good grip, and U.S. made( if thats not asking to much) I was looking at the Kershaw chill but its a little over 3 inches(not that big of a deal) and it does not seem like it has that good of a grip. If there aren't that many good knives in this price range, would it be better to just save my money and buy a Leatherman wave for edc?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. stag556

stag556 New Member

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Is it better than a spyderco tenacious?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i carry a Case Sodbuster Jr. everyday and it does everything i need a knife to do for less than $20 bought at Lowes.

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Even though spyderco is not my brand ( I prefer benchmade and Zero Tolerance) i would go with a striaght edge G10 Tenacious over a kershaw leek,not to say anything about the kershaw,bc it's a great knife and is an EDC for many people.

But I've never met a spyderco I didn't like,even if they didn't wow me. Can't say the same about kershaw. But that's just me,go with whichever you like the best,they will arguably be the same quality if purchased with comparable blade steel.

I just personally like the looks of the spyderco better.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Under $30..get a Kershaw.

Had one as a work knife, abused the living hell out of it for maybe 5-6 years, lasted me until someone stole it.

Ended up replacing it with a spyderco.... I'd rather have my Kershaw back.

8. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I carry a Buck Vantage Force 345 with Olive Drab handles everyday, bought two of them, one in Desert Tan for my dad, for under $30 a piece on EBay.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Thanks everyone, im strongly considering the leek.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  10. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

CRKT Hammond Cruiser , this is my EDC.

Attached Files:

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I was thinking about that one!
    So my 3 choices now are
    the
    Kershaw chill
    Kershaw Leek
    Crkt hammond cruiser
    The only thing I don't like about the leek is the grip/handle, too slippery looking.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

This is why I'm carrying the little Kershaw Chive today; somebody "borrowed" my Leek.

I haven't had a spyderco, so I can't compare quality.

The shape of the Leek grip makes it feel more secure than it looks.

13. stag556

stag556 New Member

I have one issue (or more so a commment) on the leek. Like I said I carry the knife every day but one thing to look out for is the hardness of the steel. The leek (14c28n steel)is a moderately hard steel so it will hold a edge, but use it for prying and you will snap it very easy. In fact I dropped the leek and it stuck in the carpet and when I pulled the knife out the tip was bent over. I was able to work the tip back to a nice profile, in my opinion 14C28N Steel is about the same as g10 steel maybe a little better at holding a edge, do to the higher hrc.

All in all I'm very happy with the knife, and you can get a very nice polished edge, that is very sharp. Once you get it sharp it will stay that way with a quick stropping after use.