Best stock for my AR build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by NJ_Tactical, May 30, 2012.

1. NJ_Tactical

NJ_Tactical New Member

I'm looking for opinions on which stock is the all around best for my build. Magpul ACS, STR or Vltor Emod? Or another option.....

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I have had a lot of different stocks. The STR being the best all around.

What's the ARs purpose?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got an acs-l my wife has a moe also got the milspec collapsable (which sux). not sure what i like better the moe magpul or acs-l

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Ive shot many, prefer the LMT SOPMOD.

5. X-mark

X-mark New Member

B5 Enhanced SOPMOD will give you a nice wide cheek-weld surface area and weighs in at 12 oz.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not to pee on anyones cornflakes but collapsible stocks are a NJ no no. Gotta pin it or go with a fixed pos. All those great suggestions really lose their appeal when you pin them in a fixed length. Some of the magpul fixed length, an ACE skeleton or a standard A2 or a shorty are good NJ options.

7. NJ_Tactical

NJ_Tactical New Member

Although that's my name, I'm not located in NJ. I know the communist laws, one of the reasons I left. Thanks anyway

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

How about answering the question so we can help you.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have the Magpul ACS, STR and CTR and like the last two the best. If I had to choose I'd go with the STR. My ACS is the older, heavier model and it's a little long for me, can't say about the new ACS-L.

Course that's just my preference, more input from you would help.

10. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Here is a quick snapshot of a B5 stock and some common Magpul stocks.

[​IMG]

Stocks listed below in same orientation as in the picture:

B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD --------- Magpul ACS
    Magpul CTR ---------------------------- Magpul ACS-L
    Magpul MOE --------------------------- Magpul STR

There are definitely many more options out there.

11. X-mark

X-mark New Member

Weights for above stocks:

B5 SOPMOD - 12 oz
    Magpul CTR - 9 oz
    Magpul MOE - 8 oz
    Magpul ACS - 14.4 oz
    Magpul ACS-L - 12.3 oz
    Magpul STR - 12.5 oz

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I only have 4 kinds of Magpul stocks. MOE which came from my DD. Replaced it with ACS. Got the CTR for my Arsenal Saiga AK47. Got another CTR for future build. Then sold the ACS and replaced it with STR.
    If i have to choose one, i'd choose STR then CTR.
    I just love Magpul ;)

13. billt

billt New Member

I just finished changing out several of my factory M-4 style stocks with Vltor E-Mod Stocks. They are very well made and will provide an extra inch of length of pull. If you have long arms like I do, that is a major plus. To me the standard M-4 style stocks most AR Carbines come with is way too short.

The Vltor E-Mod also provides a much better cheek weld than most of the others. I know this week Mag-Pul is all the rage in the AR world, and their stuff is nice. But after looking them over the Vltor E-Mod seemed a bit better constructed with nice heavy steel reinforcing of the butt pad, along with a nice thick grippy rubber butt pad that has a lot of surface area. I'm seeing a lot of companies copy the Vltor E-Mod design. In fact I read somewhere Vltor had filed suit against one of them. I don't know if it was Mag-Pul or not.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Mag-Pul...

There's a reason things become more popular. I have a VLTOR IMOD which I like a lot. However, in my experience after owning an ACS, ASC-L, 3 CTRs, 2 MOEs, IMOD, 2 UBRs, PRS, and a STR the Magpul STR is the best of all worlds.

The STR has a great cheek weld, doesn't snag facial hair, is light, comfortable, sturdy/well made, locks up tight, and looks good while doing all that.