Best State to hunt Hog.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by safedman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. safedman

safedman New Member

I would really like to take a trip somewhere this year to hunt Wild Hog. Have had the oppertunity to Harvest 3 with my bow. But they were on a large preserve. Any suggestions? I have done the internet search but with no real knowledge it is hard to make a choice.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I am from Northern Maine

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Last I heard, the population of feral hogs for the whole country is about 4 million.

2 million are in the state of Texas.

3. safedman

safedman New Member

10-4 on Texas!!

4. powg

powg New Member

hog haven

come to texas .....anywhere in state ,if there is a place that dont have any now ....wait 6 months. i live in east tx ,the bottoms are full of em

5. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Hog Heaven.....

Come to La. A friend of mine dropped off one this afternoon, along with an ice chest of dear meat to make Burito's for the guys at her camp!.....:)

6. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Add Florida to the list !

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Lot a people here talk about hog hunting in Florida. Never did it myself though, so I cant tell you where.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There has to be a Washington DC joke to be had here.

Sorry.

9. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Wild hogs are all over the place down here. Some cities are having problems with them.
    I do not hunt, now, but I was invited by a couple of guys to go right after I moved here. They said that 3-4 of them hunted only with handguns stomping thru the brush & swamps to jump them. !!!!!!!!!!

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would have to say Texas!
    But they are all over! I guess the best for the least cost would be a main consideration.

11. suprdave

suprdave New Member

They're everywhere in the south. Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi. In Arkansas, you can hunt them year 'round!

12. birdie

birdie New Member

A buddy and my self have killed 162 in the last 6 mo. They are like rats and multiply faster than we can get rid of them. We use nite vision, thermal,and lots of firepower to try and keep up. Have to say is a lot of fun we even use dogs and big Bowie knives, that gets the old ticker pumpin! Well texas is loaded and most farmers will let you hunt to rid their pastures of the beast.

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hunt in Florida & Texas. Hunting hogs is great because there's no limit, no rules, no license required. And you can eat em.

14. safedman

safedman New Member

I live too far North. I think I would be eating Pork every day. :)
    Stopming through the bush to jump em....that is how we hunt snowshoe hare!!!

15. orangello

orangello New Member

MS has recently loosened its hog regulations to pretty much anything goes. I mentioned a passing interest in trying my SKS out on some hog & have had at least three different people tell me to come kill them at their deer camp, farm, or camp area after deer season dies down, for my safety.

16. Marlin

Marlin New Member

[​IMG]
    Alapaha, Georgia is wear hogzilla was killed. 800lb. just sayin

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Texas.
    Then Florida has enough for its hog hunters.

18. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 New Member

Wisconsin's getting them and they're spreading...has anyone scene this site? Links To Feral Pig Web Sites

The map alone give ya a good idea for where to hunt.
    [​IMG]

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Huh, i wondered where all that Canadian Bacon came from.