Best start for a gun noob

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by xerode, Oct 25, 2012.

1. xerode

xerode New Member

Everyone in my family has a gun except for me. They all know all about guns and I want to join the rest of the family.

Apart from just rushing out and buying a gun I want to actually learn about guns and from there make a wise decision as to the right gun.

I'm not a hunter so I'm thinking I'd like a handgun and eventually a ccw permit (to join the rest if my brothers).

Any thought on books, publications, blogs, websites, etc as to where I should start?

Thanks!

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, you are here already, so look around for threads of gun pictures to see what has eye appeal and then do some reading.

The trick is that not all firearms are intended for all firearm jobs/functions; you don't buy a semi-auto AK-clone for concealed carry, etc. The most concealable handguns won't often be as much fun at the range as larger handguns with longer barrels.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Your in the perfect place to get started. This forum is full of great, very knowedgable people that wouldn't hesitate to help you.

We usually recommend a .22 as a first gun. They're cheap, and easy to shoot. The choice of wether you want a rifle, or a hand gun is up to you. Just make sure to follow all the safety rules of firearms (don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, it is ALWAYS loaded no matter what, ect). When it comes to choosing a gun, you need to get one that feels good to shoot.
    Go to a gun shop and hold different guns, Find one you like. If you want to know anything about that gun, you can always ask us here.
    You should also get your family involved in helping you. Go to the range with them, try their guns, learn from them, ect.
    I hope that answers your question.

4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Welcome...start right here! Ask any questions you like. I'll offer this;

A revolver is the best place to start for Hunting. But don't expect a single firearm to do it all. A typical Hunting gun will be too large for CCW. And a CCW handgun will have a short barrel, not real good for longer distance shooting for hunting.

There are two types of Revolvers. A SA or Single-Action Revolver and a DA or Double Action Revolver...learn the differences. I highlite the differences with Revolvers below

If you are thinking about a semi-auto you need to understand the differences and how they operate ...start with learning these terms;

Types of Actions:

Single Action-trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled. example:Colt 1911 and Clones, Browning Hi-Power
    DA/SA(Double Action/Single Action)- This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position, but, on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. examples; Beretta 92, SIG P229, CZ 75
    DAO( Double Action Only)-The trigger both cocks and releases the hammer or striker. However there is no single action function example:Sig Sauer DAK, Ruger P-series (some)
    Striker Fired-works without a standard hammer or firing pin. Instead, the firing pin, or “striker”, sits captive under some spring tension inside the slide while the gun is not being put through the firing process. example; Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P

The best way to understand what Single Action and Double action is to think of a Double Action Revolver. There are two ways to fire a DA Revolver. 1)Double Action- simply pull the trigger and the hammer retracts back and then releases and fires, it's a long pull of the trigger that performs this operation. 2) the other;Single Action- pull the hammer back with your thumb, the hammer is now cocked, when you pull the trigger with the hammer in this position it will fire(release) with a short crisp pull of the trigger.

...a Single Action Semi-Auto is no different. except you don't have to pull the hammer back with your thumb, it is done by racking the slide. Subsequent rounds will rack the slide for you(by recoil) when fired, ready for the next shot. Watch this, towards the end you can see what happens when firing; [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SmlOEzNBs[/ame]

...hope this helps. If you learn these differences, you will know more than many gun owners out there. We have many knowledgeable members here that are willing to help :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Agreed, as others have said...a .22 is where most of us got started .And, a .22 will always be the most cherished firearm you will ever own.

7. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

8. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

If your getting a rifle to cant go wrong with a basic 10/22

9. tri70

tri70 New Member

Your not from the bird watching forum are you? :D

10. xerode

xerode New Member

Haha... no certainly not.

I'm not that into hunting, neither is my family. We just REALLY believe in the 2nd amendment. My younger bro has a federal permit to sell guns but he's currently serving in Afghanistan.

I can see though that I certainly came to the right place to start learning about gun and gun ownership!

Anyone ekse have tips?

Thanks y'all!

11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

12. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'd probably recommend a Savage mark II. It's a good bolt gun and runs only at $160. If you want a semi I'd say the Ruger 10/22.

For a 22 handgun, I'd say a Ruger Single Six. Your probably going to want to start with a .22.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  13. Swervin

Swervin New Member

I agree. I never but a gun without googling reviews on it first. Even if someone on this forum can't help make an educated first hand response. Google will put you on hundreds of forums for said firearm. And yes a 10/22 ruger is fun. Mine is reliable and dead on accurate. I did all the modifications and out of every gun I own, this is the most fulfilling. Hunting, plinking, low cost all day enjoyment with friends, cool factor.... Etc.

ForumRunner_20121030_170017.jpg

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice Ruger!

? I didn't think it was ATF-friendly to use a vertical grip on a "pistol"? How did you get around that, or am i confused?

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  16. Swervin

Swervin New Member

Your right. I found that out later. Older pic. grip removed

17. RobertsDefense

RobertsDefense New Member

Welcome to the forum! First off, thank your brother (and anyone else in the family) for his service!

Not to beat a dead horse here but defiantly go with a .22LR to start. Ruger 10/22 is great for a rifle and there have been a TON of .22 clones of full size handguns coming on the market lately. You can get anything from a revolver to a 1911 to an AR-15. Ammo is cheap, and you don't have to deal with recoil which can mess up a new shooter's form real quick.

Just like Sonic said, most of us started with a 22 and progressed from there. Hell, my brothers-in-law and I have just about any caliber and make you could think of in full power firearms but still have some of the most fun with the different variations of 22LR we collectively own!

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It would seem with a gun owning family you would have many teachers and guns?:confused:

19. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

While it's not a good carry weapon unless you are a big guy a 357 with a 6.5" barrel is the most versatile gun on the planet. It's handy on the range. It's a great nightstand gun. It's a great truck/car gun. It has enough power to kill the engine on a car when your psycho girlfriend tries to tear your house down (really happened to me). It's a one shot stop weapon. I can go on but this article says it better.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_versatile_handgun.htm

20. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

+100 on starting with a .22lr. The ammo is dirt cheap and that should keep you shooting.

-> The more you shoot, the better you'll get and being a good shot means more than caliber size, always.

--> The more you shoot the more exposure you're likely to get. Rent guns at the range and find whats comfortable for you. Being comfortable with a firearm is by far the biggest factor that determines whether you will keep shooting it.

---> When you get it narrowed down, keep ammo prices in mind for the caliber you're considering because you'll want to keep shooting as much as possible. Size matters, experience matters more. Yes, ...just like that ;)