Best source for AR15 mags.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, Dec 12, 2011.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Been using Pmags for a while now and they are great, but am thinking about and old school KISS A2 build and want some opinions on GI style metal mags. I'd like them to function flawlessly and have anti tilt followers. Who makes good ones for even better prices?

Thx for you time! And Happy Holidaze!

2. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

I just picked up a 4 Thermold 30rd mags at Sportsman's warehouse for $6.99 each. Not top of the line mags but I put 300 rounds through them this weekend without any issues. Great to have around loaded for when the SHTF.

3. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

I just got two 20 round "Colt" mags from a gun broker add. The add said they were Colt mags but when I got them it says NHMTG HARTFORD, CT on the bottom plate. I don't know if they are really Colt mags but they are new and look good. I paid $25 each for them but the shipping was $10.00!!!!!! Hope they work good.

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

I got some that I brought home from Iraq that I will part for $15.00 each, can't get any more USGI than that!

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

If I was gonna use GI mags, I would get the Cammenga Easy Mags. They look like standard GI mags, but they slide apart so they are much easier to load. You should check them out.

-Fred

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I like the pmags too, only got one right now tho but ill get more. Most of my mags are national guard issue 30 rd aluminum, not sure of the brand but they work great.

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

My personal favorite mags are the Lancer A5 Advanced Warfighter. They're polymer mags, anti-tilt follower, steel feed lips, and they're still lighter than PMags. Plus I really like their texture.

-Fred

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My mags of choice are the 30rd Pmags with the mag level and ranger plate

9. jwsturr

jwsturr New Member

Bravo Company has some with Magpul followers. The link is for the black ones, they have fde and gray also. I have a couple they're BCM stamped on the bottom plate. I've never had any issues with them.

AR-15 Magazines

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

11. Car54

Car54 New Member

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got a bunch from a friend of mine he "found" them in various iraqi caches in iraq and brought em back for me. he likes AK47s and i like ARs. i brought some back from my service in the army. they were being tossed so i took em instead of them hitting the dumpster.

i buy em now and then at gunshows when someone has a pile for 5$ each or so.

here is some handy mag info: AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ

excerpt:

what he mentions is pretty spot on. most of mine are colt, parsons, and adventureline. i have a couple of okay industries and the ones i have shoot fine.

the gi mags are the best there is in my opinion.

ive got some cammengas but there are 3 negatives with those. they are heavy, they are a little on the long side, they do not work with the 458 socom round which was the main reason i got them. the cammengas are flawless in 556/223 usage and built like a abrams tank. you just cannot break them.

ive also got some pmags and i wont add anymore. ive tried trading them for gi mags at gunshows but no one wants em :/ i did swap a few with a mall ninja at the rifle range once but the rest are onto me now... but this is wisconsin and the plastic mag thing doesnt seem to be a big seller in these parts

13. Judah_BenHur

Judah_BenHur New Member

Ha..I've got one of those old Sanchez mags with the black follower. And just by SFL...I've never used it.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

AgentTikki, since you're talking a KISS A2, 20rd and 30rd Colts would be ideal. You can find real Colt stamped mags on AR15.com's EE sometimes for $15-20. And NHMTG or Okay mags are Colt approved. Mags from BCM linked above are plenty good as well.

ALS11, the NHMTGs should work great but you might want to complain about that purchase since you paid top dollar but didn't get Colt.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also got a Sanchez in a bunch of surplus GI mags I stumbled across cheap. Most of them worked ok but the Sanchez was trouble. Another wouldn't drop free then I noticed the top welds were broken. I finally put Magpul Gen 3 followers in the good mags and they work great now.

BTW, with used magazines there's no way to be sure what you've actually got since baseplates get swapped around all the time.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Thanks for all you suggestions! I think I'll try and get some old school Colt Mags......maybe just a couple just fer looks. Honestly tho, I have over 10 Pmags all of them have been flawless....so far. I just get worries that the feed lips might break but they've been good to me so far.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have bought several 30 rnd mags from Brownell's and have been very pleased with them. never failed to feed or drop free. about $20 each in price.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nothing wrong with PMAGs, I have a couple dozen myself, ten with the S&W M&P15 logo. But for a KISS rifle you gotta have USGI and why not Colt!

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Colts it is, but then again, FN and HK seem kinda cool, just because.

Looks like I'm doing some shopping :p

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, the HK is cool but even heavier than the Cammenga. Quite a while back I picked up an HK on sale for $20 and will keep it if only for the amazing craftsmanship and overengineering but it's just too darn heavy.