best slugs for Rem 870 Police

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PeterSteele, Jan 8, 2013.

1. PeterSteele

PeterSteele New Member

receiving my first shotgun soon, a new Rem 870P 18" 12ga . only allowed to shoot slugs at local gun range. is there a 'preferred' slug for this gun ? How about shot (for when i get to shoot outdoors this spring ) ? Thanx for any advice and opinions ! I'm pumped to get this new toy (sorry-no pun intended)

2. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

That gun will eat anything. As for the best slug, try out a few different brands and see which performs best. Most should perform similar though. As for shot, pretty much anything will do. Especially if you're just practicing or plinking.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my experience the best grouping slugs for a smooth bore are Federal Tactical. Velocity is cut back a tad, but the target will not know the difference. Remington "Slugger" slugs are generally the worst for accuracy, but you never know, give them a try. Your gun may like them.

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I've had good luck with Remington "Sluggers" inside 50 yards, most indoor ranges I visit are 50 or less.

5. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

I've had great results from the Federal TRUEBALL slugs

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

I have had the best luck with the Winchester super xs

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

One more vote for Federal Tactical slugs. As far as shot it depends on what your plans are SD, hunting, target, clays etc.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Brenneke was recommended in Alaska but a little harder to find.

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

My local indoor range is only 25 yards so shooting slugs you have aim low. And its not something I like to do. So I normally only shoot my shotgun outdoors.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would give Nobel slugs a try. They are reduced recoil. Compared to a hunting slug they are reduced recoil anyway. Winchester Super X have given me the best accuracy in my hunting shotguns. Super X slugs will usually shoot a 2" group at 60 yards.

11. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Keep in mind that your new shotgun is most likely a smooth bore barrel so you will want to get a rifled slug for longer distance.
    I agree that you need to just try a few different brands & slug shapes to see what works best for you.;)