Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
receiving my first shotgun soon, a new Rem 870P 18" 12ga . only allowed to shoot slugs at local gun range. is there a 'preferred' slug for this gun ? How about shot (for when i get to shoot outdoors this spring ) ? Thanx for any advice and opinions ! I'm pumped to get this new toy (sorry-no pun intended)

·
Registered
492 Posts
That gun will eat anything. As for the best slug, try out a few different brands and see which performs best. Most should perform similar though. As for shot, pretty much anything will do. Especially if you're just practicing or plinking.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
In my experience the best grouping slugs for a smooth bore are Federal Tactical. Velocity is cut back a tad, but the target will not know the difference. Remington "Slugger" slugs are generally the worst for accuracy, but you never know, give them a try. Your gun may like them.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Brenneke was recommended in Alaska but a little harder to find.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
I would give Nobel slugs a try. They are reduced recoil. Compared to a hunting slug they are reduced recoil anyway. Winchester Super X have given me the best accuracy in my hunting shotguns. Super X slugs will usually shoot a 2" group at 60 yards.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Keep in mind that your new shotgun is most likely a smooth bore barrel so you will want to get a rifled slug for longer distance.
I agree that you need to just try a few different brands & slug shapes to see what works best for you.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts