Best sight pusher tool?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by nickel1911, Mar 9, 2012.

1. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions on a good sight pusher tool that would work on 1911s as well as glocks and s&w m&ps. Any advise and feedback is truly appreciated.

2. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

nylon bench block, brass punch, and at least a 5 lb hammer(just tap it)

3. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks for your feedback. I don't own a work bench to mount a nylon bench block on or that would definitely be my goto method of removing sights. Although I've heard it's possible to mar the sight and slide with this method. I guess as long as you take your time and tap lightly everything should be fine

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out Brownell's. they have some that use a type of forcing screw to move the sight vs. using the hammer and punch method. they might have something that would work for you.

5. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll call brownell's and talk to their customer service reps to see which product they would recommend. There's a few on the market. I'll post their response

6. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

So I read some good reviews on the kaiser uni-200L. Anyone have any experience with this sight pusher tool?

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I was really hoping for some great answers to this, I have a soft jaw vise and a good punch and hammer set, just looking for something better I guess.

8. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

I use dedicated MGW pushers for most guns as I didn't want to she'll out the $400 for the Mepro Universal Brownells sells, but if I had it to do over I would shell out the money up front.

You will need to make mods to any universal setup to make it work though.

Soft jaws and a nylon punch are usually the easiest way to get sights off (non-trit) but a pusher saves a lot of time putting them back on and the cost of a set of trit sights will pay for the MGW pusher after one hit too hard.

Below is the model I use for oddball sights and it works on 99% after soaking the slide in KROIL for a day. Get the hold down clamp in the kit, it's worth it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17840/Product/P500-UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-TOOL

If you have access to a mill, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6841/Product/UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-INSTALLATION-TOOL this tool has the ability to work on more guns an on the really tough sights, but it's pricey!

9. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

The mepro universal is definitely too pricey for me. The cheapest I've seen it for was about $600. I couldn't justify paying that much for a pusher unless I was changing out sights full-time! Lol. I guess that's why the kaiser uni 200l is sold out everywhere I've looked. thanks for the suggestion though.

10. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

Not that it's a great deal, but the brownells discount puts them at $400 unless you are doing it as a smith it would never pay for itself

11. rmw

rmw New Member

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice student project for a milling machine.

13. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

14. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Hey all! Update on the pusher tools. I went ahead and ordered both the b&j p500 and the kaiser 200L. And the score is ( in my experience ) b&j 1 and kaiser 0. I started with the kaiser as it seems simpler to use. The problem I ran into was that the g22 rtf slide wasn't tall enough to be captured into place by the bottom clamp of the kaiser. Not sure why, as I've seen videos of the kaiser working on glock slides before. Maybe it was just me? Then I tried the p500. It worked perfectly! Easier to set up than I thought it would be. It pushed the sights around with ease. I put a very small mark on the bottom of the new sight as I couldn't keep the pusher plug from rotating. But it's hardly noticeable and can be touched up easily.
    I'm very pleased with the b&j p500. Thanks to all that recommended it! I'm not giving up on the kaiser just yet as I'd like to change out a couple more sights and it is a well made tool.

15. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

Something I did with my p500 wa mount it to a square tube that I clamp in the bench vise. Makes it much easier to work with

16. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Sounds like a good idea. Though I didn't have any problems working with the tool as is.