Best SHTF Pistol?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TLuker, May 18, 2012.

1. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I want to start by saying I am not a pistol guy, but pistols do have their purposes. First and most important purpose, which I believe someone else here stated, is to allow you to get to your long gun. Second is to serve as a back up in case your primary weapon fails. So what are some opinions as to the best pistol(s) for those purposes?

At the moment I'm thinking the best pistol to fulfill the first purpose is a high capacity semi auto probably in 9mm or 45acp.

For the second purpose I'm thinking .357 revolver with a decent length barrel. A .38/.357 would be useful for hunting if absolutely necessary. I can't imagine a semi-auto ever being useful for hunting, and any gun that is going to serve as a backup for my rifle has to be useful for hunting.

So for the moment I'm thinking keep a semi auto in the truck just to make to sure I can get home. Keep a .357 ready to go with my rifle and BOB. If I'm ever on foot and have my .357 then I can ditch the semi-auto (I'm not carrying two pistols).

So what are some thoughts on pistols and SHTF?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've drunk the 1911 KoolAid, and I'll tell you, I think its the best KoolAid out there.

BUT. I think a 6" .357 would be my optimal SHTF pistol. Preferably a Smith 686. (just my personal preference on the model there.)

There are also the BP options. I have a recipe for home made BP, and casting ammo is pretty simple.

3. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

Why is that?

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Good question, I would like to know your reasoning as well.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I would see a .357 or .44 mag revolver being good for hunting, a 357 sig or 45 acp would be fine in close quarters. No more than maybe 25 yards on larger game.

6. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

I can see these being useful for hunting:

Auto Mag Pistol (.44 AMP), Colt Delta Elite (10mm Auto), Coonan (.357 Magnum), Desert Eagle (.357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .50 Action Express), Glock Model 20 and 29 (10mm Auto), Guncrafter Industries Model 1 and 2 (.50 G.I.), LAR Grizzly Win Mag (.45 Winchester Magnum), and the Wildey (.44 AMP, .45 Winchester Magnum, .475 Wildey Magnum).

7. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I've never seen one accurate enough (at least in my hands) for hunting. The Ruger bull barrel semi auto 22's are accurate, but I would want a little more power if I had to hunt with it. I just can't imagine anything from 9mm to 45acp being accurate enough for hunting, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Trip,

The BP option might be the way to go if EOTWAWKI but I have enough metallic cartridges to get me buy for some time (hopefully). If it gets that bad, once I run out of ammo BP pistols should be pretty easy to come by? Besides, I would just about rather go with a bow and arrow than anything BP. I really hated hunting with a muzzle loader just because I knew after I got through cleaning the deer I was going to half to clean the muzzle loader. If you figure out a non-corrosive recipe let me know!!!!!

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm curious, too.

I have a .357 magnum revolver as my primary HD gun. I know I could hunt with it. I have a .22 pistol for fun shooting but I know I could hunt with that, too. I have a pocket pistol .380 for self defense. So far, I don't own any long guns. Shot guns are not comfortable for me to shoot. Not even the 16 gauge.

9. TLuker

TLuker New Member

How would any of those compare in accuracy and range to a SW686 or Dan Wesson in .357 with a 6in or 8in barrel?

Or let me rephrase that question, what would be the most accurate and versatile pistol for hunting and in what caliber (small and medium game)?

10. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I agree with you on the semi-auto pistol.

I also agree that a 357 revolver is a close choice as well.

As to which one I would ditch if I had two of them at the same time, I would ditch the 357 and keep the semi-auto.

Regarding hunting, a 44 rem mag is awfully lite compared with the other heavy hunting guns, such as 454 casull or 45-70 govt. So I would not want to drop down even more to a 357 for hunting. Having said that, the 357 and the 44 rem mag are fairly similar in all respects except for a slightly different diameter.

The pistol and the revolver (handguns as they are lately often called) have always been self defense weapons, similar to a sword in ancient times.

Whereas a rifle or shotgun (long guns as they are lately often called) have always been offensive or hunting weapons, similar to a spear or lance in ancient times.

For combat, therefore, your rifle is your primary tool, and your handgun is your backup. That's how they serve soldiers and marines.

For hunting dangerous game, such as big bears, lions, or boars, they serve in the same capacity and relationship. One of the super heavy revolvers, like the 45-70 gov, or the 454 casull, or the 44 rem mag, would be your backup, and a 300 or a 338 or a 375 or a 458 etc would be your primary rifle.

For defense against people, it seems like a semi-auto pistol is your best and quickest bet. And the rifle or shotgun would be your natural "backup" in this case. Note that this is how LEOs are organized and equiped. They carry a shotgun and/or combat rifle with them in their vehicles, but they wear a pistol (or revolve in some places, still) as their primary defense. The same thing applies to civilians.

I keep my 45ACP loaded and chambered with the hammer down (condition 2) at all times. My revolver is in my gunsafe unloaded waiting for hunting and scouting season (not far away now -- mid July in Calif). My bolt action scoped rifle is also in my gunsafe unloaded waiting for opening day. My shotgun is in my gunsafe unloaded but with shells attached to it in case I do need to load it.

I have done neighborhood watch for years and walked foot patrols in the military and on many occasions had my 45ACP with me, loaded & chambered in condition 2 in open carry mode. Late at night after midnight if you are going outside to check on odd metallic sounds around your home, I think open loaded carry is the fastest way to get to your weapon, short of condition #0.

But I have only needed to load the shotgun once, while waiting for the LEOs to arrive due to my 911 call. It was after midnight and there were half a dozen perps in our parking lot who had just disgorged out of a minivan, and they were working over the cars in the parking lot.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I don't have to worry about large game so anything past a .357 isn't really needed. I would primarily be shooting small and medium size game with deer and wild hogs being the biggest thing I would see. Anything that will put down medium game would also work for defense if need be. And the smaller the caliber the better because I could carry more ammo. A .22 would be great but I just don't think it would be enough for medium size game. A .22 could potentially work in a rifle for medium size game with head shots, but that would be tough to do with a pistol. So I'm back to thinking a .357 would be the way to go, and then use .38's on small game (if it can shoot them accurately enough) and .357 on medium game.

12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Then you are correct, the 357 is probably your best bet.

A semi-auto 10mm might work as well. Both of these rounds are similar in power.

And the 10mm gives you more capacity, 10 vs 6.

But you need to try them both and see which feels better.

Surely the 357 with a longer barrel will be more accurate, and that will make it better for hunting.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. mcb

mcb New Member

TLuker
    One advantage to a 357 mag is ammo availability and the ability to shoot 38 special.

Many of the powerful pistol calibers mentioned above: 10mm, 50ae, 357 Sig are not common or cheap. If your thinking of long term shtf you are more likely to find 38 special or 357mag.

15. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

For a true SHTF scenario, I'd have to go with one of the extremes. Either a .22 revolver, like the type most pilots (Going off of what I've been told, and shown an older model) have in case they get downed. For a SHTF scenario where you only have a handgun, you're probably not going to be hunting big game. You can survive comfortably on rabbits/birds/squirrels, and a .22 is just fine for that. If it comes time to shoot at a man instead, I don't think many people want to stand and fight, so stopping power isn't much of a necessity. I'd be just as happy to squeeze of 5 accurately placed shots into somebody's center mass and run like hell. Or even 5 almost accurate shots near somebody would be enough for most people to decide to leave you alone.

On the other hand, a USP .45 would be nice. Big, accurate, designed with German efficiency. Certainly would get the job done. HK makes some pretty "tactical" guns, too, with noise suppression and whatnot, and all the attachments you could need. Blow a small hole through anything you aim at, and there's the psychological factor of a big gun with a loud bang.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Regarding a handgun since mobility would be a major consideration in a SHTF situation. One would not want to be packing an arsenal around with him. I would go with a Glock, Springfield HD, Sig or other good semi auto for SHTF. All in either 9mm or 45 ACP. I also like the 40 Cal. But thinking of availability in the field! The reason for the 9mm at all is that military presently carries the 9mm Beretta M-9s which could also be a source of ammunition. The 45 ACP would obviously be one of my top choices.
    As far as hunting I would not be doing it with a pistol at all other than maybe a 22 cal Suppressed for hunting small game like rabbits as well as the shotgun. For other hunting an AR Rifle and 22 pistol for stealth purposes!
    So basically stating, I would have a pistol in 9mm or 45 ACP for protection and tactical applications, a shotgun and an AR. and a 22 suppressed semi-auto pistol stealth applications including hunting and situations where I need to not be detected.

17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I agree with every point you made if I had a pistol along with my rifle. My concern is the pistol as a backup for my rifle. If SHTF and my rifle were then to malfunction for whatever reason and became inoperable I would be SOL (assuming I was on foot and away from home). In that case the pistol would become my primary survival weapon. I would never plan on using a pistol for hunting rather than a rifle but I wouldn't have a choice if my rifle became inoperable.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what one pistol I would go with if I could only have one pistol and no rifle? I would never choose a pistol over a rifle for anything and I wouldn't plan on only having a pistol, but that is exactly what I would have if my rifle became in operable. With that being the case, I should be choosing a pistol as if it were the only weapon I would have? :)

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

*Ahem* One word... Medusa... ;):p

19. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Hell yeah, i'd like to get my hands on one with a 6" barrel :D

20. Letsroll

Letsroll New Member

Wrong

You are all wrong. The BEST shtf pistol is a reliable 9mm, preferably a Sig p226 or Beretta M9 that can hold a minimum of 15 rounds.

In a SHTF scenario, you need a weapon that sports a common universal ammo size and is easily found. You need it to be lethal and have a magazine capacity to hold many.

115 gr fmj ball ammo is my preference. It is cheap and you can carry more of it than you can .40 0r .45. No medical help in SHTF and so any hole will be potentially lethal. People bash the 115 gr fmg ball ammo but I will tell you this: Ball ammo has been killing people, and quite well, a lot longer than hollow point has. 9mm stays on target better for follow up shots.

In a SHTF scenario you will reasonably be protecting your ass from numerous threats, both civilian, law, and military. You will be protecting your ass until you lose the fight. A .45 may say you have a big dick but your gonna be carrying less of it on you, have fewer rounds in the mag, and it will be damn hard to find. You may be able to put someone down with one shot, but I will tell you this. If I put a 9mm round in someone in a SHTF scenario, they are gonna go away, and then they are gonna die from lack of medical attention.

The next best caliber is the .40 because you will be able to get the ammo from felled cops and such.

In a SHTF scenario, everyone is a potential enemy, but the ones wearing uniforms are absolutely your enemies. (Katrina - never forget)

Hoard Federal 115 gr 9mm fmj ball ammo from Walmart. It's the best SHTF ammo IMO.