Best shotgun for beginner

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by newbee1950, Dec 5, 2010.

1. newbee1950

newbee1950 New Member

I am just starting my search for a shotgun. I want something that is easy to operate, clean, maintain and has the least amount of kick. It would be used for vermin--possibly an occasional coyote. I have very little gun experience. But now that I am way out in the country, I realize I should have something for protection.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I bought my middle son an H&R Topper deluxe in 20ga. He has used it for waterfowl, crows, skeet. One problem w/ a 20ga is all I can find local for shot is #5. I use #4 minimum in 12ga for coyotes. Good shotgun overall, great price.

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I would go with a Remington 870 - in whatever configuration you choose. As long as you hold the butt in tight to your shoulder, the recoil is easily manageable with 2 3/4" loads. Plus there is a plethora of ammo choices in 12ga, including low recoil loads.

4. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Mossberg 500 in 20ga. A single shot, break-down H&R or NEF will also suit your needs. Have fun and let us know what you choose.

5. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I would argue against a single shot if you are concerned with recoil. The gun will weigh nearly nothing and more recoil will be delivered to the shooter.

A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump would fit the bill. Both proven workhorses, with lots of aftermarket support. Either 12 or 20 gauge would work, but you lose a bit of ammo variety and availability with 20 ga.

Both guns are reasonably priced (less than $300), and can be found at any self-respecting gun shop.

After you buy either, find a couple local buddies, get a box of clays and a thrower, and a giant box of 9 shot ammo. You will not believe how much fun you can have with your new boomstick.

Bear in mind, you can hunt nearly any north American game with a 12 gauge. From slugs to bird shot, there is appropriate ammo for most any quarry.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As you notice, nobody has suggested the .410. Though small in gauge, it is more for the expert shotgunner. I hate to see someone get disappointed with shotgunning, and that is what happens with the .410. Less pellets thrown means more missed targets for the beginner.

A 20 gauge is good to start with. A 12 throws out more pellets, but has more felt recoil than a 20.

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Recoil is not really something I would concern myself with. In all reality the 12 ga birdshot load is extremely manageble as someone mentioned. As far as single shot vs pump action, the difference in recoil is negligible.

12 or 20 ga are both good choices and will do anything you ask them to do within reason. I would personally recommend the 12. As far as the gun there are a lot of good choices out there, but if it were me I would choose a Mossy or the Remington both in pump config. Just because you said you said you wanted ease.

8. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I bought a Benelli Supernova 12 ga as my first shotgun. Yes, a little more expensive than the other options, but a very high quality pump action shotgun. It is easy to disassemble and clean, and has a recoil reducing stock. I didn't believe much about the recoil reducing until I shot my buddy's regular Nova, almost the same gun, but with a standard synthetic stock. The recoil difference is quite noticeable. We like to go shoot clays all day long sometimes, so it's nice not feeling it quite as much on the shoulder.

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are the best entry level scatterguns IMHO. Both are solid performers and are inexpensive options. I bought my Mossberg 500 at a local WalMart for about $225. It does not have the best fit and finish but it gets the job done every time.

10. eliot-gunner

eliot-gunner New Member

Go with the Remington 870 - they come in many variations (I own two).

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are very similar inside and out and both great shotguns but the Remington seems to be more popular and in higher demand. Just be sure to get a shotgun with dual action bars (the metal bars that attach the pump to the action) since they are more durable and reliable.

As for ease of shooting, my wife (130 lbs) has shot both of my 870s and didn't have a problem with them.

11. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

nef singles are a dime a dozen, generally 75 bucks used in pawn shops.
    i own 5 different ones, simple, quick, easy, and goes bang every time.
    used is perfectly ok to have. all but one of mine were used.
    new ones sell a wal-mart for 117 everyday.
    my 12s do bite the shoulder a bit, but not unmanagable.
    i have a 20 with full choke and 20" bbl, aftermarket buttstock pad.
    the felt recoil is less than that of my 410 with 24" bbl.
    i hunt with my 20g slugs, so a few weeks ago i took it to the range and put 30 slugs thru it and 50 target loads just playing around and came home with out any soreness at all in my shoulder.

good luck to you

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't be afraid of a 12ga recoil. It's very manageable. 12ga shells are generally less expensive and more varied than other shotgun ammo. If the 357 is the most versatile pistol caliber, the 12ga is the most versatile shotgun caliber.

Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are good guns, but I'm fond of doubles.