Best shotgun for a first time owner?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JustAnotherGunLover, Jul 29, 2011.

1. JustAnotherGunLover

JustAnotherGunLover New Member

So what would be the best shotgun for someone to buy if they dont know what to look for? I go to the stores and see all different kinds and have no idea what some of them would be best for.... I basically want one to shoot stuff with like plates and other odd things like that. Anyone got any ideas what i should be looking for? I am gonna need something closer to the cheaper side cause i am still holding out for that 597.... (Plus, my girlfriend is one of those gun haters.... so i have to spend a fairly cheap price so i dont start an argument.)

2. JustAnotherGunLover

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so you want a hard kicking shotgun to shoot targets with? why not something smaller? .22 are great for target shooting, and fairly cheap. or like a .22 magnum, or .223, 243. but. if your set for on a shotgun try a. 410. seems small but woul dbe great for plinking.. after shooting a 20 or 12 ga 30 or 40 times in a row you will have a sore shoulder.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have used Bud's several times. They are first rate, great on-line gun shop.

You want good or cheap? I filled the cheap part, want good?

MERKEL 2116EL 16GA/2.75/28 OU ST ICM $8,355.00 SHIPS FREE

5. JustAnotherGunLover

Well the thing is, i already have a .22, i just want a shotgun as a second option you know?! Alittle choice every now and then is all im looking for.

6. JustAnotherGunLover

Yeah i want cheap. Its just the best way to go for now.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well im sitting on four .22 in my cabinet with my eye on another. but to each there own.. def go with a 20ga, or .410 if you want to have fun and shoot a bunch. remington 870 pump is a great shotty. and reasonable for around 300

8. JustAnotherGunLover

Thanks for the advise. And i can see why you have 4 .22's i really do enjoy mine.

9. JustAnotherGunLover

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

You could find a cheap single shot in a pawn shop for around $100

11. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Check Mossberg

For what you want out of it, Mossberg might be the way to go. .410 is a light kicking gun, but it is expensive ammo wise. If you won't shoot it that often, I would go for it! But, 12 gauge ammo is relatively cheap to other shotgun ammo, IMHO.

Good luck with the buy, check out mossbergs sight! If you don't know a lot about shotguns, I wouldn't go for a used one the first time out. Try to find a bargain one when you've had more experience, or if you know someone that is experienced.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I would say that The New England Firearms(NEF)/H&R Pardner Single shot is a great choice,some run about $120 new.My dad has one in 20 gauge,I have had one in .410 and my friend had one in 12 gauge and all are great guns and simple to operate

Attached Files:

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I would recommend a Remington 870 Express 20 ga from walmart, around $300. Works well, doesn't kick too bad, shells are cheap, will do the job on just about anything from quail to bears with the proper slugs. And fun to shoot. Should have seen the grin on my daughters face when I first showed her how to roll a coffee can with a magazine.:D

14. JustAnotherGunLover

Thanks everybody for all the info. I have a good idea of what to look for now.

15. JustAnotherGunLover

found a 12gauge for 75 but it was "too" used.... scratches, scuffs, and all... i didn't get it cause i don't really want one that someone else had already broken in, you know!?

16. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

There are several choices in the inexpensive pump shotgun arena. I have a NEF Pardner Pump. It's a Chinese import also used on the Interstate Arms offering. It's basically a Remington 870 clone. It's built like a tank and has never failed me. The Mossberg 500 platform is tried and true. Remington 870 Express is another. If you want a break open single shot... the H&R NEF is a winner.

17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Stevens 258a 20ga for $50

2.3/4 inch bolt action shotgun should keep you from mowing through that expensive shotgun ammo

Attached Files:

18. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I bought my wife a NEF pardner pump at wal mart. $179 OTD, its a 12 ga and is built very solid for a cheap shotgun. It is a dead match to my remington 870 when held and looked at side by side. I hope this helps, any other questions about it ask me I would be more than happy to answer questions that come up about these guns.

Gersty