Best semi auto for self defense?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by navysully, Sep 11, 2012.

1. navysully

navysully New Member

I know, I know, asking opinions on here will get a lot of responses. I am not trying to create a war, I just want to see what you guys think of as the best options.

I would like to get a shotgun for home defense. I know a lot about rifles and handguns, just not shotguns. I do not want a pump, I prefer semi auto.

What would you guys recommend for home defense in the semi auto flavor?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I can't.
    I have a pump for home defense.
    A Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge.

3. godspeed

godspeed New Member

Same Here. I've always been a fan of pump style. Sounds silly but the.Extremely distinctive pump sound, is as much a weapon/detourent as the weapon it self. Sound is.a powerful sense.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Certainly nothing wrong with a pump, i had an 870 for a long time, but i currently have a semi auto. I think its more of a personnal preference

20120710_143715-1.jpg

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

the issue with choosing a semi over a pump is that EVERY semi is eventually going to fail. Pumps arent as "finicky"..this is not to say pumps cant fail, just that they are less likely to fail.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Best? Probably Benelli.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

if i was going to use a semi for self defense it would be the benelli M4. but semi auto shotguns are too flakey to rely on.

8. dkBrandon

dkBrandon New Member

I'd recommend the Remington 870 as well but if you really want a semi-auto a Mossberg 930 is a real nice gun

9. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

something used and broken in.

10. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

Only Semi auto shotgun I own are 2 saigas. With proper loads, it'll take alot for it to fail (as in no birdshot).

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I too have opted for pumps, but he said he didn't want a pump.

The Mossberg 930 and the Remington 1100 are also good proven semi-autos that a lot of guys run in 3 gun competition along with the Benelli that seems to run at the top of the heap. These guns are pretty reliable in some pretty high volume competition. If you maintain your chosen platform well it should operate reliably in a HD role, where it won't get abused a lot. I would highly recommend runnign it hard on the range ane finding out things that make it choke before relying on it for defense. Learn how to manipulate it well through reloading, magizine top offs, buck to slug change overs, and fire it from differnt positions to include , Standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone or urban prone.

12. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Benelli super nova and I hunt with it

Attached Files:

13. BrooklynFaTs

BrooklynFaTs New Member

Check out the winchester super x three in home defense now that's straight fire

14. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

one thing that i think people ignore too much when it comes to a home defense gun of any kind.....the possibility of a home intruder (or stupid local kid) breaking in, finding it & using it on you or others. :eek:

that's why my choice is a double barrel shotgun. easy to load and unload every time you leave or enter the house.

imo, safety is just as important as effectiveness. :)

EDIT: of course, one could always lock it in various ways as well. myself....i just feel very concerned about leaving an empty house with a loaded firearm in it, regardless of where its hidden.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. BrooklynFaTs

BrooklynFaTs New Member

A gun vault makes a nice security lock that attaches to the wall for home defense they say its unbreakable you guys should check it out

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Almost everyone is going to say benelli or browning. Neither is cheap but both are dependable. I can't see a saiga. They cost as much as either a benelli or a browning. but not proven. Remington turned me off with the old model 1100 and it's assortment of gas rings for different loads. A real PITA. The mossberg has issues with their semi autos. if you visit the mossberg forum all the questions are about semi autos. the only 500 questions are for more cool stuff.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Get a safe! for your purposes an $88 stack on will do just fine.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The military is using the Benelli M4.

19. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Just the marines, in limited numbers.

20. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a safe, and yeah it was a cheap $88 number. :p

but i think taking a gun in and out of a safe every time i leave the house would be a real PITA. is that what you do? i'm in and out quite a bit, with a fairly active life style...i'd be pulling my home d gun in and out of my tiny, crowded safe 3-4 times a day likely. i think removing the ammo is easier & quicker myself (with the right type of shotty). jmo.