Best semi auto for law enforcement

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by maddog1618, Dec 11, 2011.

1. maddog1618

maddog1618 New Member

What is the best semi auto to get for law enforcement

2. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

That's a broad area.. Most departments use SIG's, Glocks, Berettas, S&W, Rugers. Personal preference as to DA/SA, Striker Fired, SA, DAO. Chambering is usually 9mm, 40 S&W and is usually dictated by the department head.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

That's a pretty vague question.

The most popular is probably a 40sw polymer service sized pistol (G22/23). Mostly Glock, with some M&P and XD. This is due to a number of factors, some of them financial.

If you're purchasing your own rig, it's a completely personal decision. What do you handle well and shoot well? What carries well for you? What features do you prefer? And what accessories and ammunition advantages might be afforded to you by your local department, depending on what gun you choose?

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Could you provide a bit more context for your question?
    Is this for you, or just in general?
    Does the LE organization have guidlines that must be considered?
    Do they simply issue what they wish to have the officer use?
    Do they allow certain personal weapons?
    What types & under what restrictions?
    Are there political considerations?
    Training demands?
    Budget?
    Every agency will have a selection of different issues they will need to address.
    They will pick the best compromise for their specific situatuion.

5. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

My department issues G21 with 283g JHP winchester ranger...... we are permitted to carry whatever as a BUG, and i have chosen the G26 Gen 4, makes for a great combination !

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You sure about that?

7. G30USMC

Whoops mistype dang iphone Winchester Ranger 230g

8. G30USMC

Whoops my bad mistype dang iphone ... 230g

9. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I know our local police dept runs g22's. I dont any law enforcement agency can go wrong with the glock. They have an incredible track record of being extremely reliable. And in law enforcemnt a firearm malfunction would probably mean ur life

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Excuse for newbie questions..

When u work for LE departments or agencies,
    Do they lend, loan u or u have to buy it?
    Since u are able to get LE prices, will u be able to buy with your own money for your own collection?

Thank you, im just curious and just for some personal infos ;)

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I hate giving this answer:

IT DEPENDS.
    There is police department issue, there is police department allowance, there is police department policy.

Some departments may issue you a firearm, some may assist you with the purchase of a firearm, and others may require you to purchase your firearm.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I only know what I've read. Isn't the ability to shoot through cover to a BG an issue like the Secrete Service prefers. Or to avoid over-penetration like many local LE agencies prefer?

(Do the money SS agents carry the same pistol as the protection SS agents?)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

From what i understand the texas highway patrol uses the 357sig round for shooting through cars as thats the most common barrier they face.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  15. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

It's my understanding that LE Agencies are required to replace or refurbish their sidearms every five years. Is that correct?

My friend that works for NM State Police is issued a Glock 31, .357 Sig.

My other friend that is on the Columbia, SC PD is issued a Glock 22.

16. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I think any gun is bound to have problems. Glocks are your best bet. The .357SIG is probably a good bet, or .40SW, but I'd probably go with the .357SIG. Glock would give you an advantage because there's no safety to worry about if you need to pull your weapon, and you can trust it to not discharge unless the trigger is pulled.

If you want an example of police guns gone bad, read this: Police say emotional distress led man to kill estranged wife - News - Ohio.com

In that story, the sniper attempted to fire his AR15 only to have the trigger jam. Then, another SWAT member shot the suspect in the head with a 9mm fired from an MP5, only to have the bullet bounce off his forehead! Talk about the luckiest man alive.

9x19 is my favorite cartridge. It doesn't have to be the deadliest. I can shoot a 9mm more accurately and faster than a larger caliber. But I must say, the .357SIG is intriguing.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  17. danf_fl

That is the policy of some agencies, but not all.

18. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Oh. I thought that was a Federal requirement.

19. danf_fl

Then why is the Beretta still in the LE part of the Armed Services?
    Why is the Sig still with other agencies?

20. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Totally agree. The glock subcompacts are super sweet and feel great. The G26 is my current fav. Don't know about using it as a primary service weapon, I would carry something more powerful if I were carrying openly. But as a backup, sure. For a primary, I'd go for the 357SIG full size glock. 9mm is known to bounce off windshields. If someone is trying to mow you down with their car, you'll be glad you got a 357.