Best sd/hd shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gaeilgeoir, Aug 28, 2011.

1. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

His has probably been asked before but i cannot find the thread...any ideas? Like even what exactly does one look for in a sd/hd shotgun?

2. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

First I would look what´s available in your area. Then the configuration of the chosen shotgun: caliber (12/20/16/.410), barrel length (18"-22"), max. possible ammo capacity (with the chosen barrel length), sights, stock etc.

3. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

A shorter barrel than a hunting shotgun. Either 18" or 20" is usually a good choice. Can be double barrel, pump, semi-auto. Twelve gauge and 20 gauge are two most popular. Pistol grip, full, collapsible stock, etc...

I've got a Remington 870 with 18" barrel with extended magazine and full stock. I like it. (I'm not trying to start a brand/model war.) Paid about $350 out the door 2 years ago. I've heard the Maverick shotguns are pretty good and about $200. Price range is another option.

Hold a few and see what fits you best. If you know someone with one, see if you can try it out and get a feel for it.

4. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Oh no I just mean hypothetically, it will be a while until I buy one, so basically the sky is the limit, I was just wondering about what people think would be the ideal one...

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If you look at hunting shotguns, you'll notice a barrel that sticks way out from a really short magazine tube. On good SD shotguns, you'll notice a magazine tube that extends all the way to the end of the barrel. I would never buy a SD shotgun whose magazine tube did not extend all the way to the end of the barrel. Just so as to maximize the number of rounds!

I chose the Mossberg 590A1 with parkerized finish. It is 8+1, though I never keep a shell in the chamber. I'd rather have that first rack than just flip off a safety.

For me, money did matter, otherwise I may have gone with a semi-auto.

6. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Well then...a Saiga 12 with a 20rd drum, Kobra red dot, some sort of railed fore-end w/ vertical grip, foldable stock...:rolleyes: Don´t really know since I can´t buy one for HD/SD in my country...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

Here's where I'm at so far.
    [​IMG]

Mossberg 500 20" Tac Star shell holder and Hogue Tamer pistol grip.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

No stock? I'm not a real fan of pistol grip without stock. I just envision too many potential problems with where the shottie goes AFTER firing. Into my forehead, twisting my wrist in an odd way?

No thanks, not for me.

9. oli700

oli700 New Member

Of course everyone likes their own, here is my Vang Comp Mossberg. It looked like the pistol grip above when I got it....and I am thoroughly enjoying it, it is currently my favorite gun to shoot. Especially since I have been casting and reloading my own 00 Buck I just can’t put it down.

[​IMG]

10. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Is the Vang Comp work worth it? I have looked at their website and they look like the real deal. That is one tough looking shotgun!!

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words, this is what hangs over the head of our bed !

Attached Files:

12. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Wow, theyre cool :p But I'm just womdering if there really was a situation where you think you needed one, and it was dark would you turn on the lights or use the light attachment (if you have one) or a torch? (Just curious :p)

13. oli700

oli700 New Member

The Vang Comp System does absolutely work as advertised. People say since the Federal FlightContol wad was invented there is no need for a backbore and forcing cone work but I say what if you eventually cant get flightcontrol or TAP….you will always have the barrel and what ever you end up shooting out of it you know it will be patterning the best it can.

These two patterns were taken with the same gun, one with the OEM barrel and one after the barrel got VCS done

The ammo was Rio high power 9 pellet 00 buck. Rio is the worst patterning buck I have ever shot and almost worthless past 15 yards with a Cyl choke.

both targets are 12"x12"

20 yards stock barrel
    [​IMG]

20 yard VCS 20” smoothbore all 9 are accounted for.
    [​IMG]

14. oli700

oli700 New Member

a torch ?

To me a light on a gun is not for navigation and if I don’t need it I won’t use it. A weapon light, to me, is for target ID but if I can use ambient light and preserve my natural "night vision" I will. I run a light because you never know when you will need it……if you go running around with a light on then it will just give someone something to shoot at.

In a home defense situation I know my house and I know where my loved ones are. It has enough ambient light for me to move around and ID. I don’t believe in using a light , laser or racking a slide to scare people off….that stuff just gives away your position…..the last thing a bad guy will hear in my house is the click of my safety as all my HD weapons have one in the chamber.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Oh haha I forgot about that, I meant flashlight sorry :p and ye I see your point, I just had visions of people walking around their house to find their loved ones with a target painted on them :p and ye that sounds like a good system :) I just hope none of you ever need ta use these...:)

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is a full stock Benelli Nova in 12G. Full length tube, ghost ring with night dots, night front sight, flashlite and laser. Sighted in for slugs at 50 yds.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the winchester 12ga SXP Defender model, holds 5 shells, has a 18" barrel, synthetic stock and grip. nice shooting gun, even my wife likes it! i have in the past a mossberg 500, maverick 88 and the remington 870 for hd/sd use and would recommend any of these as far as pump shotguns go. i prefer pumps myself. i do like the new winchester, as we have shot it a lot and we both enjoy shooting it, and the price was not bad, i paid $349 + tax nib. i wanted another maverick or mossberg, but as of late they seem hard to get for some reason in my area. always out of stock to the dealer. so i bought the winchester and couldn't be happier.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

A Torch, British = Flash Light !!!!!!!!

19. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Haha normally I don't mind but there's kind of a really old feud between Ireland (where I am) and England/Britain (about 850 years) and well, I hate being a ***** but I hate being associated with them even more so just yea, I'm Irish but I guess having adopted their language some of their words' meanings have stayed with us...:S :p

20. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

And as far as the thread goes it seems like it's the same names up again and again :p :D