Best Scope for Ruger 10/22 and/or other 22 rifle?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by sausn2002, Oct 14, 2009.

1. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I just got a Ruger 10/22 and was thinking about getting a Telescopic Scope. What do ya'll recommend I get? Should I get the $30 Wal-Mart brand, or save my money for something higher quality? Should I get a smaller, thinner scope to fit my 10/22 more (looks better I think) like some of the scopes that come with 10/22 rifles, or should I just get whatever scope regardless of it's size.

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Go here, read this, it is very helpful. If you still have questions on the scope needed for your 10/22, we will help ya out. Remember this about scope choices: Its primary use, the quality of magnification clarity, its price, and the end results. Everybody will have favorites. ;)

Ruger 10/22 Scopes @Gunsmoke Engineering

Jack

3. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

100% of the people I know that have put the Mueller APV on their 10/22's have been EXTREMELY happy.

Great price. better optics, and better customer service than most all others.

Now. Determining what you will do with the scope (hunting, 25, 50, 75, 100 yard targets, sillouhette, etc.) will determine the type and power you need.

4. tallyman

tallyman New Member

Ronhart International (Colorado) has a nice mini-scope kit for the Ruger 10/22. Email ronhart77@juno.com.

Attached Files:

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have two Simmons 3-9X32 .22 Mag. with A.O. scopes on my 10-22's that have performed perfectly for me over quite a number of years. They run between $45 and $65 depending on the finish and the sales available. I also have a Walmart CenterPoint 3-9X40 .22 Rimfire scope, that I bought for around $54 a few years back, that I put on my old Remington 512 bolt action .22 rifle that has been excellent so far. It has crystal clear optics and a mil-dot reticle that I really like.

On a side note, if you're going to spend over $100 for your .22 scope, go with the Mueller APV recommended above. They are excellent too.

6. zedpapa

zedpapa Member Supporter

i just bought a Nikko Sterling Mountmaster 4-12x50AO scope for my savage 64. its great, nice and clear. it has a paralax(sp?) adjustment that goes from 25-300 yrds. it is nitrogen charged and i have been very happy with it. it cost about $80 from Turners here in CA.

Nikko Stirling - Optics for Sport, since 1956

7. dakotadan52

dakotadan52 New Member

I have had a 10-22 Sporter for many years and have always had a Redfield 2-7x on it that performs flawlessly. You can still find these on E-Bay sometimes.

8. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I am using a Mueller APV on mine. Seems OK.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Susan,

You can use just about any decent quality scope on the 10-22. $69.00 range on up Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell will do fine. But do not buy one with less than an 1" Tube. You can easily get mounts for the 1" scope for the Ruger 10-22. As far as power of the scope. If you want to do some good precision target shooting get a variable. For example 3X9 vs a strait power.
    I purchased a couple of Ruger 10-22s for my grandsons and nephew a couple of years ago for Christmas and put Bushnell 3X9 Scopes on them. Made a fantastic combination. All were purchased at Wal-Mart. The trick is 1" Tube Scopes! You can see real well through them since they collect a lot more light and you can see the target so much more clearer.

10. AZchambers

AZchambers New Member

ijk make a good scope for pretty cheap 3-9X36

11. xX_CRAZY_WOLFF_Xx

xX_CRAZY_WOLFF_Xx New Member

i have a sub from gun test ... (guntest.com) a GREAT mag.. tells u like it is... i bought a scope w/ their recommendation...
    Simmons 22 Mag Riflescope 3-9x32mm 511072, $52
    haven't had a problem w/ it...

test scores:

TruGlo 4x32mm Model TG8504BR = F
    BSA 22 Special Model S4X32WR = F
    Tasco’s 22 Riflescope 3-9x32mm Model MAG39X32D = C
    Simmons 22 Mag Riflescope 3-9x32mm 511072 = B

Rimfire Riflescopes Under $50: Bubbles Sink TruGlo and BSA - (Nov 15 2010)
    At one time optics for a rimfire rifle meant a scope with a 0.75-inch tube—including objective—and no adjustable magnification. You could also get it with any reticle type you wanted as long as it was a traditional crosshair. You can still purchase these types of scopes, but today’s rimfire scopes share a lot in common with centerfire scopes. They come in 1-inch tubes and have adjustable magnification, parallax adjustment, and an assortment of reticle types. We were interested to see if low cost—around $50—had any relationship to quality and usability. Our test products were the TruGlo 4x32mm Model TG8504BR, $50; the BSA 22 Special Model S4X32WR, $40; Tasco’s 22 Riflescope 3-9x32mm Model MAG39X32D, $50; and the Simmons 22 Mag Riflescope 3-9x32mm 511072, $52. Before we did any range work with the scopes, we performed a shock test by whacking the scope on a wooden bench to determine if a jolt would have an effect. Next, we removed turret covers and froze the scopes in a -4 degree freezer and soaked them in a sink of hot water to see if seals leaked, making the scope susceptible to moisture build up.

hope this helps.......
    remember this... ANYBODY can make rate... but ONLY GOD can make a bosn' mate !! LOL !!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. xX_CRAZY_WOLFF_Xx

xX_CRAZY_WOLFF_Xx New Member

i ordered mine from amazon.com .... 40 bucks w/ FREE shipping comes w/ rings but i didn't like them i bought diff 1's

13. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i use a Simmons 3-9x40 8-Point scope on my 22 rifle. i only use it at 25 to 75 yards and it works great. they are about $35-40 and work great for general purpose shooting and hunting.

whatever scope you decide on, get quality rings and bases. theese will make a lot of difference in the scope reliabilty.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the scopes carry a limited lifetime warranty. Stay away from those that dont. There is usually a reason why a company wont warranty their products. The 22lr is a 50 yard cartridge. Sighting in at about 30 yards will put you on a squirrel out to 70 yards +/- 5 yards on either end depending on ammo. Yes you can shoot out to 100 yards but there wont be much power left and there are better rounds for that distance. Scopes designed for 22lr usually have their parallax set at 50 yards. Center fire hunting scopes are parallaxed at 100 yards. Shotgun scopes are 50-75 yards. On scopes with an adjustable objective (AO), you set the parallax where you want it. If you want a fast handling bunny buster go with a low power like 1-4. Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 with a circle x reticle. The parallax is set at 50 yards and can be found for about $70. Do you want a squirrel gun? you might want a 2-7 or 3-9. The Simmons 22mag 3-9x32 sells for about $50. The Simmons 22mag 3-9x32 AO at about $70 has an adjustable objective. The Mueller APV is also an AO but is a large heavy scope more suitable for a target rifle. The center fire scopes set at 100 yards will cause sighting errors at shorter ranges unless you get a perfect repeatable cheek weld that centers your eye on the scope.

16. hmh

hmh New Member

Have the banner for one of my 10/22 great for a stock gun.

17. JALENHOLLINS

JALENHOLLINS New Member

@PIPEMAN525
    Hey thank you I bought this scope yesterday and went outback and shot around 110 bullets I love this scope its perfect for the 22 and the cost is great

18. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Glad you like it and happy to have helped.

19. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

I like the biggest fattest most powerful optic for a cheap price try a Bushnell banner

20. Corwin46

Corwin46 New Member