Best round for the .17HMR?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by greggy99712, Nov 16, 2008.

1. greggy99712

greggy99712 New Member

I'm new to the .17 club. I've got the savage 93R17 which I like OK, but what about the ammo? I see the Hornady ballistic tip, the hollowpoints and all, but would like to know everyone's opinion before I buy a S@#tload. And 17gr.or 20gr. gamepoint? Any help will reduce my profanity level.(hopefully!)

2. greggy99712

greggy99712 New Member

.17 HMR ammo selection?

Whatta ya think? hornady ballistic tip, hollowpoint or what? and 17gr. or 20gr. gamepoint? I'm new to the 17 and just got the Savage 93R17. I like it ok but just don't got the real dope on the ammo yet?

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

You'll have to try them all. I did, and it like the 17 gr. polymer tip.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

What are you going to be shooting with it? That makes ALL the difference in bullet selection.

5. greggy99712

greggy99712 New Member

shooting mostly small game like fox,lynx etc. I live in the interior of alaska and so ptarmigan, grouse and the occasional wolf. time may come when a guy would need to headshoot a moose for food I guess

6. greggy99712

greggy99712 New Member

you mean the ballistic tip,right?

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If I was you,I'd go to something like the .22 hornet (at least) for something the size of lynx or wolf. Down here in ky,we've had a LOT of coyotes run off after being hit solid with the .17 rimfires. I know they was hit solid because I found them later. The 1s that ran off and we didn't find,naturally can't say for sure where they was hit. About 1/2 of the yotes I've seen hit with a .17 ran off and about 1/2 dropped-that's too many as far as I'm concerned. Imo the .17s are just too small for bigger critter varmits based on what I've personally witnessed. For smaller critters meant for tablefare,the .17s were too explosive and tore up too much meat unless hit in head.