Best round for End of the World.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by ElGuapo, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Given a catastrophic, world-changing event, what is the best caliber to have on hand? I was thinking of what would be most available by scavenging, law suppy, military supply, theft, etc..........Oh, I mean hand gun, by the way.

2. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Actually, now that I think of it, how about shotgun and rifle round also?

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

The one that your gun is chambered for, in vast quantities.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

5. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

12 guage pump of course best all around gun kill about anythang from birdshot-buckshot-slugs

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I think this would depend on your storage/carry availability. Shotguns are effective but very bulky. Id rather have a pocket full of .45 rather then a dozen shotgun shells.

7. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

not me my chances of hittin my target are geatly increased with a shotgun depends on type situation i got nuff guns to supply a army so i dont worry about 1 gun but id chose my 12 guage if had to

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Doesnt matter to me, my Medusa shoots most of the "common" calibers... various 9mm and .38's, .380, .357, etc... :p
    I dont think ill have too hard of a time scavaging....

As for long guns... hope I have enough reloading stuff by the time SHTF....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. towboater

towboater Active Member

Handgun 9 mm
    Rifle 223
    Shotgun 12 g

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude, come on...

Every where I turn "My Medusa" stop rubbing it in! :)

11. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Like I said, it all depends on your situation. If you are defending a homestead, id go with the shotgun, but if I was traveling, id have to go with smaller firearms to save room for more ammo. Also, what type of situation would it be, zombie apocalypse, human rioting, animal attacks, etc...

12. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

My Mark III and my 835.

Have two bandoleers with 72 rds for 12 ga. With gun full and 6 more rds on side of butt stock that's 84 rds for 12. Have 10 mags for Mark III plus 500 rds in BOB. I would comfortable with that.

Jimmy

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

9mm............

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The more I look the better the lowly 410 looks. Only need a good slug load. The 410 slug load is ridiculous. I just cant see why they cant make a .36 caliber 200-240 gr hollow base or Breneke slug. Some hand loaders have loaded 1 or 2 147 grn .357 hollow base wadcutters as slug loads. No choke. The 3" buckshot load is outstanding with 5 000 buck.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Id say 12 gauge would be the best, it would also be the easiest to scavenge cause nearly everybody has a 12g. Plus any abandoned police cars you come across would prolly have some 12g "00" buck or slugs and the police stations would have plenty too. I would think that 9mm would be easy to scavenge for the same reason. 5.56 mm would also fit the bill because you could also raid national guard armories and police stations to get it.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I thought the same thing until someone pointed out to me that they will be either insanely heavily guarded, or picked clean when base personnel pull out.
    And I don't think my local Armory even stocks ammo. I know they don't keep the weapons there. I think their ASP and weapons depot is at Millington Naval Air station.

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

That would be true if they willingly packed up and pulled out, but if they were over run by zombies then thered by lots to pick up. Lol, i been watching walking dead, i know its highly unlikely but it is a shtf scenario

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, why the hell did he not grab some better stuff when he was hiding in that tank? The .50 had ammo on it! Not to mention the M16's just laying around.
    I'd be picking over any dead body wearing a uniform I could find, I'd be looking for them.

19. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Id have to agree.

20. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

.22LR - hunting and absolute ammo you can carry.
    .223 - hunting and SD
    12 GA - SD, but bulky to carry extra ammo.
    9mm / 38 SPL / 357 Mag - SD

the revolver ammo because who knows when you'll be able to clean an auto again (reliability).