Best rifle for coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

What is the best out of a ruger mini 30, ,ak47, or a bolt action in .223 for coyote hunting.

2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I like the .243- 95 grain for long range and the 55 grain @ 3900 fps is flat for 300 yds.
    1.75" high @ 100 yds- 1.5" high @ 200- and 1.5" low @ 300 thats just hard to beat

I have one in a rifle like this. You end up with almost no recoil and fast follow up shots. http://www.dpmsinc.com/LITE-HUNTER_ep_154-1.htmll

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

3. cllowe

cllowe New Member

I would say bolt action 223. I have been looking at a mosberg MVP for a while. I like how it takes at mags. The only bad side is the 1 in 9 twist barrel. I would prefer 1 in 8.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

1911Beast, I can't make a recommendation. I have never hunted coyotes in your area. Most places I hunt I could kill the coyotes with a shotgun. You have everything from desert to thick crops around Las Vegas. Tell us more about the areas you like to hunt.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The 25-06 with an 87 gr. or 117 grs. bullet. There is a good chance I may encounter a wolf and they take a lot more pounding.:)

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

In my oppenion the Rock River Coyote is the best gun on the market. All of the coyotes I have ever shot have been running and I have only killed 2 with 1 shot kills. The last 1 I killed I shot at 6 times, and hit it 5 time, they are hard to kill. I do use eather a 224 TTH or a 6-284 and soon to have a 6-300 WSM for long range, well any time I`m going to be shooting over 300 yrds. I use a drop chart and a range finder and dial up the hold over so that I can keep the cross hairs on the target. These set up are not the best for under 300 yrds.

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

Depends on your habitat, wooded or open plains. Open areas a bolt rifle would be best, in wooded areas the mini 30 would work fine. I have hunted with minis in open areas next to woods, I see more in wooded areas.

8. peters923

peters923 New Member

I usually shoot coyotes with a .223, because thats what is in the truck. I like to hunt them with the 22-250 tho. It's really all just personal preference. My buddies like the .223 super short, 7mm-08 and dad uses a .22 hornet.....

9. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

My main Yote gun is a Rem 700VS in .243 Win. where I use a load with 75 grn V-MAX bullets over Varget powder.Very accurate and flat shooting, which I need as most of my shots are between 300 and 600 yds. on the flats.

10. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I've always thought a Savage 24 would be a great coyote gun, never used one but I'd like to. Maybe a .223 over 20 gauge combo.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

In the states with big coyote populations you will see shotguns as well as rifles. The wide open western states with miles of Public Lands will allow for some real coyote shooting.
    I shoot in a number of western states. I prefer the 25-06 and the .220 Swift. These are both proven old timers on the High Plains. Texas has a big kill each year. The states in the Northern Plains have big annual kills with no seasons or permits. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service puts Wyomings annual coyote kill at 50,000 to 80,000 animals per year.
    If you like long range coyote hunting and want to prove your rifle spend a week on the High Plains. ;)

12. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Choosing from your three choices?
    I would choose the 223 bolt action rifle,it should be more accurate then the other two factory semi auto rifles.

13. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I prefer .223 semi-auto rifles for coyotes.I have experienced them in multiples at close ranges which is intimidating to say the least. Ive even taken a yote at 15 yards with my m&p 9 when my mini went dry. That was interesting.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

All this and we still haven't heard back from the OP. I think this thread is dead.

15. jennifersmith

jennifersmith New Member

.22 High-power I use 65 grain and they work well. .22 LR will terminate a coyote if the bullet is properly placed, but rarely beyond 75 yards.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have been looking for a nice .22 Hy Power for years. I like old rifle calibers like the Hy Power. Do you have this in a Savage 99? Where do you find the .228 bullets?:)

17. clem_

clem_ New Member

18. stoneam2006

stoneam2006 New Member

19. Amerikano

Amerikano New Member

I just got my dad's custom made .250 Savage. I loaded some coyote rounds with some 87gr Speer TNT bullets. I'm looking forward to smoking some dogs.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My favorite version of the coyote culling game is hunting off bait. The farmers around here drag dead livestock to a remote corner of their property to decompose. They will call me as soon as they discover a deceased cow. I will set up on it the next morning with my .25-06 and AR. At first light you can see the 'yotes feeding. I pick a likely candidate and eliminate with the -06. Subsequent runners are engaged with the AR. Not uncommon to take 5 or more in a very short time. This does seem to put a damper on the local polulation for a couple of months