Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say bolt action 223. I have been looking at a mosberg MVP for a while. I like how it takes at mags. The only bad side is the 1 in 9 twist barrel. I would prefer 1 in 8.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
1911Beast, I can't make a recommendation. I have never hunted coyotes in your area. Most places I hunt I could kill the coyotes with a shotgun. You have everything from desert to thick crops around Las Vegas. Tell us more about the areas you like to hunt.

·
Registered
514 Posts
In my oppenion the Rock River Coyote is the best gun on the market. All of the coyotes I have ever shot have been running and I have only killed 2 with 1 shot kills. The last 1 I killed I shot at 6 times, and hit it 5 time, they are hard to kill. I do use eather a 224 TTH or a 6-284 and soon to have a 6-300 WSM for long range, well any time I`m going to be shooting over 300 yrds. I use a drop chart and a range finder and dial up the hold over so that I can keep the cross hairs on the target. These set up are not the best for under 300 yrds.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Depends on your habitat, wooded or open plains. Open areas a bolt rifle would be best, in wooded areas the mini 30 would work fine. I have hunted with minis in open areas next to woods, I see more in wooded areas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I usually shoot coyotes with a .223, because thats what is in the truck. I like to hunt them with the 22-250 tho. It's really all just personal preference. My buddies like the .223 super short, 7mm-08 and dad uses a .22 hornet.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
My main Yote gun is a Rem 700VS in .243 Win. where I use a load with 75 grn V-MAX bullets over Varget powder.Very accurate and flat shooting, which I need as most of my shots are between 300 and 600 yds. on the flats.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I've always thought a Savage 24 would be a great coyote gun, never used one but I'd like to. Maybe a .223 over 20 gauge combo.

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
In the states with big coyote populations you will see shotguns as well as rifles. The wide open western states with miles of Public Lands will allow for some real coyote shooting.
I shoot in a number of western states. I prefer the 25-06 and the .220 Swift. These are both proven old timers on the High Plains. Texas has a big kill each year. The states in the Northern Plains have big annual kills with no seasons or permits. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service puts Wyomings annual coyote kill at 50,000 to 80,000 animals per year.
If you like long range coyote hunting and want to prove your rifle spend a week on the High Plains. ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I prefer .223 semi-auto rifles for coyotes.I have experienced them in multiples at close ranges which is intimidating to say the least. Ive even taken a yote at 15 yards with my m&p 9 when my mini went dry. That was interesting.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
All this and we still haven't heard back from the OP. I think this thread is dead.

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
I have been looking for a nice .22 Hy Power for years. I like old rifle calibers like the Hy Power. Do you have this in a Savage 99? Where do you find the .228 bullets?:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my dad's custom made .250 Savage. I loaded some coyote rounds with some 87gr Speer TNT bullets. I'm looking forward to smoking some dogs.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
My favorite version of the coyote culling game is hunting off bait. The farmers around here drag dead livestock to a remote corner of their property to decompose. They will call me as soon as they discover a deceased cow. I will set up on it the next morning with my .25-06 and AR. At first light you can see the 'yotes feeding. I pick a likely candidate and eliminate with the -06. Subsequent runners are engaged with the AR. Not uncommon to take 5 or more in a very short time. This does seem to put a damper on the local polulation for a couple of months

1 - 20 of 21 Posts