Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I grew up in a hunting/shooting family, but I only recently got interested in shooting on my own. I have a BB/pellet gun, but I'm ready to buy a "real" gun. I have a friend and my family to get advice from, but this forum was suggested as a good place to learn by the people over at the preparedsociety.com forum so I thought I'd ask here, too.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking a .22, but as I said, I'm a newbie to this. I have to say, though, I'm hooked. Plinking is strangely relaxing and pretty addictive, too.

Thanks in advance!

emily

·
Supporting Member
11,986 Posts
emily,

I would suggest a Ruger 10-22 if you are looking for a good quality semi auto 22 cal rifle that has a reputation for being one of the best. They are not all that expensive either. And later if you ever want to add accessories onto it to make it look cooler there are a lot of accessories out there. I purchased three for my grandsons three years ago for Christmas. I think you would be very happy with one! I do not know where you live but you but most stores have them in stock.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sniper03 said:
emily,

I would suggest a Ruger 10-22 if you are looking for a good quality semi auto 22 cal rifle that has a reputation for being one of the best. They are not all that expensive either. And later if you ever want to add accessories onto it to make it look cooler there are a lot of accessories out there. I purchased three for my grandsons three years ago for Christmas. I think you would be very happy with one! I do not know where you live but you but most stores have them in stock.

Agree 100%, the ruger 10/22 is the perfect starter rifle, i've been shooting for more than 20 years and i still enjoy mine.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
10/22s are good. I would also recommend looking into marlin 22s both semi auto and bolt action. Such as the marlin model 60 and marlin xt 22. Either way with any of the three are great choices. You are wise to stay with the 22 caliber for now untill you get more comfortable handling and shooting rifles. At which point we can help you pick a good larger Cali er rifle if the time comes. Good luck

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
My first was a JC Higgins bolt action .22. It was a brand that Sears used to carry when you could still buy a gun at Sears. They were made by Marlin.

A good bolt action Marlin wouldn't cost to much and it lets you focus on shooting fundamentals. A Marlin model 60 is a semi-auto that has a pretty good reputation as a starter rifle. Then the Ruger 10/22 is one of the simplest .22 semi-autos out there. They are a lot of fun, prices are not too bad but a bit higher than you would pay for a Marlin, but you can make the Ruger a bit more custom to suit your taste, as you grow in shooting. Henry leveraction .22s are also a bit on the pricey side, but they are also a fun gun to shoot, well made and pretty acurate too.

So, I probably didn't narrow things down for you much, but there are a lot of options out there depending on the type of rifles you like.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
In addition to the others look at the Savage Mark II series of bolt action .22s. Inexpensive and accurate. You can also get it with a lefty bolt-action in case your wrong-handed.

·
Administrator
26,160 Posts
For a new shooter, the .22 LR is great. And for some of us that ain't so new anymore (danged things can be addictive!)

The recoil is just about none. Ammo is cheap enuff that you will go shoot, and not whimper about the cost per bang. And after you decide that the .22 rifle is a lot of fun, you go buy a .22 target pistol, uses the same ammo, and is fun x 2.

You would not go wrong with the Marlin or Ruger mentioned by the folks up there ^^^. Likewise, the Savage bolt action is well made, very accurate.

If budget is a problem, shop around your local gun shop used rack. There are a lot of used Mossberg, Remington and Marlin bolt action rifles that will feed your need, let you learn good marksmanship, and run around $100.

Then once you are firmly addicted, come on back, and we will discuss target rifles, match ammo, and your first CENTER FIRE rifle when you want to shift over to the 300 yard line!

EDIT And where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum! Your name would indicate that you may be a lady- we have a few that frequent the forum, including our newest Moderator, Winds of Change. When you get a minute stop by the intro thread, saw howdy, and tell us a bit about yourself.

·
Banned
0 Posts
i think any 22 rifle would be a good next step up from BB or pellet gun. there are so many available, that would be fine for you to learn on. there are some suggestions for the Ruger 10/22 and i agree with that suggestion, but mine is a Marlin M60 rifle. then there are numerous bolt actions available to learn on if thats your preference with many from Marlin and Savage. another suggestion i will make is to start by using open sights before going to a scope. learn the basics then move up to better things. good luck with your search.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts