best red dot

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MichaelBarton, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

I want to buy a new red dot. the TRUGLO i have just doesnt seem very good. I want the best one i can get for around $250.

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

3. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Just want to follow this and see what becomes of it. I'm interested in the same thing. Thanks.

4. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

right now im leaning towards the vortex, but i might just pull the trigger on an eotech

5. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Yes, the Vortex Strikefire is a good choice, but IMO a better choice would be the Vortex Sparc. Because of it's size, there is enough room to mount a 2x or 3x magnifying behind it. The Strikefire is just a bit too long for a magnifier.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a vortex strikefire red/green and a vortex sparc. both of them hold zero through the pounding my 458 socom can dish out. excellent optics for a sub 200$ price. ~150$ will get you a red/green dot strikefire with mount and lens covers and 2x doubler. ~189$ will get you a red dot only sparc which is very small with three different mount height options and 2x doubler. the strikefire is a 4moa dot the sparc is a 2moa dot.

vortex has a no questions no bs lifetime warranty regardless of how many owners. if it breaks send it back they will fix it or replace it. vortex is a wisconsin optics company but their dot scopes are made over seas but they are vortex designs and they do support their products.

here is a size comparison the sparc is the one not attached to my M&P

[​IMG]

7. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

hmmmmmm that seems like a good deal. where should i order it? I found a deal on an EOtech 512 for $389! i think ill wait until i build my top of the line AR for that.

8. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

well about to put the order in for the SPARC. does it come with the High mounts so i can co-witness?

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm a big fan of Aimpoint micros (purchased my 3rd tonight). I also like the small EoTechs like the XPS and the newer model. Third would be the Primary Arms micro. The PA runs around $100 or $178 w/ ADM mount (great mount).

10. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

its actually on sale for $158 right now!

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes, the mount im using is the low mount. i use that one one my suppressed ruger 22/45. it also has an absolute co-witness mount and an adapter so you can also 1/3 co-witness. all three come with it.

12. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

Ordering the Primary Arms Micro now. Comes with the American Defense mount for $159

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

might as well get it with the flash kill also ;)

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Now you'll have a great mount for when you go w/ an Aimpoint down the road.

15. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

order is in. $202 because i got the next day air because im impatient lol

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Jon, is the Vortex easy/quick to turn on under stress?

17. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

ill take it to the range as soon as i get it. i need to sight in my BUIS

18. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Hey mjkeat, how are those primary arms M3 (aimpoint M68 clones) are they as good of quality as there micros? I like the look of the M68 I just don't have that kind of cash for an aimpoint.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I honestly don't know. Here's a video I found on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPXNecGDj-c&feature=related]Primary Arms M3 Clone UPDATE - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: Here's another.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZKc4wfBQ8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  20. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Thanks mj.
    I watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos last night and all were about the same, nothing but good reviews. I know it will never be an aimpoint but I have gone through 5 different brands of cheap red dot sights in just the last month and I just need something decent quality for under $100 (the wife has cut off my cash flow)