Best red dot for the money

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by goodwrench78, Sep 10, 2012.

1. goodwrench78

goodwrench78 New Member

Iooking for something that will do good 50 yards and 100yrds? I have a eotech now and it covers the target and hard to see,

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Look into a magnifier for it.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

all red dots are going to do that to some extent. the further you go out the more it covers. there are 2 basic rds types 2 and 4 moa. at 100yards the 2 covers 2 inches of target and the 4 4 inches at 200 it covers 4 and 8 at 300 its 6 and 12 and so on.

an rds is NOT a precision optic its designed to get hits on 18" targets up to 450 yards.

a lot of folks opt for a 1-4x with an illuminated reticle.

vortex makes decent 2moa in the sparc model or a 4moa in the strikfire if you dont want to go the aimpoint route.

4. goodwrench78

goodwrench78 New Member

You got a part number or a link to that one?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Which??

the magnifier?? Or what??

6. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

7. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Look at Primary Arms long eye relief magnifier. I added one to the red dot I purchased from them and it works well. It also works with your eotech red dot. Primary Arms gives great service and prices seem to be very fair.

8. goodwrench78

goodwrench78 New Member

Thanks guys, off to the store

9. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

Vortex SPARC comes with a 2X magnifier and various height mounts, allen wrench and 2 batteries. The bikini cover is not great....as they told me, it basically meant for shipping. I got 2 Butler Creek #4's.......problem solved. My buddy got an Aimpoint PRO and as far as normal use, plinking etc, target shooting.....there is nothing he can do that I cannot, with my SPARC. I'd LOVE to have an Aimpoint but I could buy other more needed stuff with that amount of money.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

My sparc has been on 22lr 5.56nato 458socom 458 winchester magnum and is currently on my saiga 12 shotgun. It doesnt lose zero. The only issue with vortex and most lower end rds can be finding batteries for them.

But vortex sparc and strikefire are just worth every penny. Great company if you need support. Its a wisconsin based company. They are currently ending their adverising in recoil magazine due to recoil's crazed antigun rant one of the editor's went on claiming there was no need for "assault rifles". They are a very very strong supporter of the 2Amendment

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I read that article about 3 days ago and said to myself 'wtf?'. Later that day my roommate casually mentioned that Magpul was not doing business with Recoil because of that article. I had to laugh. Glad to see other companies stepping up!

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If the dot covering a part of the target affects your shooting, you really should consider an ACOG.

They're pricey, no doubt.

But after the first one, I started saving for another, and now I have them on three rifles. I sold two guns to buy the third one. That's how much I like them.:):):)

13. Seven

Seven New Member

Nikon has a Monarch VSD that dials down to a 1MOA with 11 brightness settings.
    Nikon Monarch VSD
    I have a couple. One on a Beretta PCC and one on a H&R "survival" rifle.
    Shop around and you can find them for $150. Pretty good for the cost when you don't wanna spend big bucks imo.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

SIG-SAUR has one for ~ $200. Haven't heard much about it, but I tend to trust the SIG name.

15. hmh

hmh New Member

I had i monarch vsd. Let me preface it by saying I love nikon glass I have several binoculars and scopes. Vsd is junk i had one every time I changed the size of the dot it would throw my bullet strikes off .25 to .5 at 25 yards that is not acceptable. I contacted nikon they sent it to them had it repaced twice all 3 had the same problem. Finally nikon said it is within there specs no refunds so all of the shipping and cost of sight I was pissed. I will never buy another nikon. Stay away from sightmark. Another headache for another time.