Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you pick if you were building a protection package of only 3 select weapons. What are applicable factors? Cost, weather, availability, action, temperature, recreation, travel, kids (weak wrist), spouse, open/CCW...

·
Supporting Member
11,981 Posts
My three choices!

Rock River or comparable AR-15
Remington 870 12 Ga. Shotgun
Sig or Glock 40 or 45 Cal. Pistol

Plenty of ammunition for all!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
AR15
1911 in .45 acp
Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sniper03 said:
My three choices!

Nice package! Solid for me, but which one do I give to my little one to learn and get the joy. Go lighter on long gun options?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sniper03 said:
My three choices!

I was thinking the same setup, just with my DD AR and XD/XDM .40 to go with it, I'd be content with that setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was thinking if shtf and I had to leave quick and could only grab 3 guns. I would take my 700 bolt gun, 1300 defender 12 ga shotgun and my smith and Wesson model 64-3 4in wheel. That way I wouldn't have to worry about losing mags and The guns come one shot weapons! Not my fav weapons but all good ones!

·
Registered
850 Posts
3? not enough, need to have a blade as well, like a kabar or pilot survival knife. mossberg 500 12ga, mosin 91/30 as i have plenty ammo, would rather the enfield but oh well], and ruger police service six .357 mag, and since its so small and light the beretta 21a .22lr and a couple knives

·
Registered
933 Posts
1: .410/.22lr over under, for versatile hunting.

2: 1911 in .45acp for protection and a .22 conversion kit to swap since you already have ammo for the rifle.. not to mention you van carry a ton of .22 ammo without sacrificing space or much weight.

3: survival knife with flint/fire starter... self explanatory.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Depends on what is to be protected. For std's I'd pick Trojans, penicilin, and Amoxycilin.
For home defense, Mossberg 500 pump (12 ga), Ruger Mini-Thirty, Ruger P345.
For survival in the boonies, Marlin 25N (.bolt action .22lr), Ruger .41 magnum Blackhawk, Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga.
For out-n-about in the city, Stoeger 8040 Cougar (.40S&W), backup CZ 2075 RAMI in .40S&W, and the Mossberg 500 in my car.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
AIKIJUTSU said:
Depends on what is to be protected. For std's I'd pick Trojans, penicilin, and Amoxycilin.
For home defense, Mossberg 500 pump (12 ga), Ruger Mini-Thirty, Ruger P345.
For survival in the boonies, Marlin 25N (.bolt action .22lr), Ruger .41 magnum Blackhawk, Mossberg 500 pump 12 ga.
For out-n-about in the city, Stoeger 8040 Cougar (.40S&W), backup CZ 2075 RAMI in .40S&W, and the Mossberg 500 in my car.
Amoxycilin works wonders

"cough" so ive heard anyways.. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MrWray said:
Amoxycilin works wonders

"cough" so ive heard anyways.. :)
Good advice. If Amoxycilin still works for you. I hear it's not wise to unleash the god give weapons in unfamiliar territory.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
G23LCPK45 said:
Good advice. If Amoxycilin still works for you. I hear it's not wise to unleash the god give weapons in unfamiliar territory.
No, not good at all :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UrbanNinja said:
1: .410/.22lr over under, for versatile hunting.

2: 1911 in .45acp for protection and a .22 conversion kit to swap since you already have ammo for the rifle.. not to mention you van carry a ton of .22 ammo without sacrificing space or much weight.

3: survival knife with flint/fire starter... self explanatory.
1. I like the mix
2. Why the 45 to 22 conversion? Is there are better option if your going to carry extra barrels/mags?
3. Spot on with the survival knife.

Why I asked the question is...why carry 2 rifles or 2 pistols?

STD fan boys; grow-up or find some...

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
For carry - the SR9c I currently have or a yet to be named .45

For a little more distance - AR15

And more distance than that - W-87 thermonuclear warhead (this one I'm still working on)

·
Registered
933 Posts
G23LCPK45 said:
1. I like the mix
2. Why the 45 to 22 conversion? Is there are better option if your going to carry extra barrels/mags?
3. Spot on with the survival knife.

Why I asked the question is...why carry 2 rifles or 2 pistols?

STD fan boys; grow-up or find some...
I pick to have the conversion on hand because its small and light weight. If I have the .22 ammo on hand. which I could carry easily 1000+ rounds, compared to, maybe a few hundred rounds of .45 before weight and space become an issue while trying to have space for other "survival" needs.

Now the choice for .410/.22 rifle would be:
I could use the .410 for slightly larger game and also protection (if needed), of course its not an ideal protection round.
The .22lr for small game, which is more common then coming across deer,hogs,etc.. I could easily pick up some squirrels or rabbits without blowing dozens of holes in it and not have to pick pellets out as well.

I should have also mentioned that this would be my ideal survival package if i were lost in the wilderness.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I wish the selection could be 4 instead of 3. Having only 3 doesn't leave the option of taking the magic decoder ring with built-in compass, radio, and telescope.
:D

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
AIKIJUTSU said:
I wish the selection could be 4 instead of 3. Having only 3 doesn't leave the option of taking the magic decoder ring with built-in compass, radio, and telescope.
:D
Drink more ovaltine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts