Best PP guns for arthritic hands

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Psalm1832Gunworks, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Psalm1832Gunworks

Psalm1832Gunworks New Member

This is a tuffy: For anyone with weak arms, arthritic hands, and little experience, what are the best guns for personal protection in the home? (by model name). It seems that if a gun has a light trigger, it's a bear to rack and load, leading to misfeeds and short-racking. If it's easy to rack, it's too heavy to hold. If it's light enough to hold, the heavy trigger jumps it off-target. It seems you can't have a gun with all three nice features for the home, in shotgun or handgun, at the same time. Any suggestions? Please also consider those semi-autos which offer a choice of lighter spring change-outs by a gunsmith.

towboater likes this.
  2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger 22/45 lite, with a “racker” either the ear or ring style. Works for my buddies wife.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Ruger sr9c. I have about 70 % strength in my left arm and spine damage. My wife has arthritis, and weak hands.
    Neither of us has any trouble racking the slide. The sr9c has an excellent trigger, conceals easily and is very shooter friendly straight out of the box.

Daoust_Nat and Psalm1832Gunworks like this.
  4. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

locutus likes this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You DID say "in the home". Shotgun, SXS or O/U. Load with Aguila mini-shell buckshot. Lighter recoil, no need to rack.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Psalm1832Gunworks

This is a .22LR. Does anyone know what the /45 stands for? Obviously you can't convert it to a 45 cal. Fun looking, first one I've seen. Interesting.

9. Psalm1832Gunworks

I like this, but will a mini-shell also work in a semi-auto?

10. Psalm1832Gunworks

Looks like a good choice. Looking forward to trying one out. .380 is good'nuf. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Psalm1832Gunworks

My husband has one and loves it, too. Glad to hear others think the same. Thanks!

Ghost1958 likes this.
  12. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

I would consider a revolver in a single action in 22 magnum or a 9mm round if recoil will be an issue as well. If you are at a point that your arms and hands are to weak consider having more than one revolver on hand that you can pick and start shooting right away incase the first revolver did not stop the assault on your life or loved ones.
    Maybe a KelTec PMR 30 with 20 or 25 rounds loaded. A 22 magnum is nothing to sneeze at.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For a while my wife had some serious health issues and was very limited as far as firearms she could hold and operate. She needed 2 fingers to pull a double action revolver even though it had been slicked up. She had to cock the hammer for each shot. She had an SR9C and while she could rack it she could not hold it up for very long or handle the recoil. Bad anticipation and flinching. She was limited to 22lr. She has a Ruger SR22 pistol which has an exposed hammer. She could rack and support it. She could operate the double action 1st shot or pull the hammer back. She also has a S&W M&P 15-22 rifle which she really likes mostly because of the adjustable stock. It is heavier than a pistol but it was easier to hold and has considerably more power. My 20 gauge double coach gun was a no go. Just too heavy. She has gotten much better and is now shooting a S&W Shield and a 9mm carbine. A carbine might be something to consider. I like them a lot. They are faster and easier to shoot accurately than a pistol. Just make sure you can rack it.
    A pistol to look at is the Keltec PMR in 22 magum. It weighs 14 oz empty and holds 30 rounds of 22 magnum. 1400 fps/180 ft lbs out of the 5" barrel and very easy to rack with minimal recoil. They do have a matching CMR carbine that bring it up to 1900 fps.
    If you want a shotgun look into the Mossberg 500E 410 pump. It is under $300 with a 24" full choke barrel but Mossberg will ship you an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel for $80. Remember to remove the magazine limiter plug. I have one and it is very light and easy to operate. Several women at the range have shot it and tell their husbands they want one. Thanks to the Taurus Judge a bunch of defensive shells are available that make it into a very deadly defense weapon. The loads work better in the shotgun than in the Judge. The typical 12 gauge defense load is 9 pellet of 00 buckshot. The 410 is 9 pellets of #4 buckshot (about .23") or you can get loads with 3, 4 or 5 000 buckshot. I have a load that shoots 4 .40 caliber balls. For in house I like the #4 buck as it wont go through as many walls as 00 buck but will still hurt if you hit them. Recoil is light. Shotguns have to be aimed. Dont believe Hollywood.

Psalm1832Gunworks likes this.
  14. JTJ

The Aguila minishells will not run in a semi auto and you need an adapter to run them in a Mossberg 500. A 12 gauge pump is not light. My wife would not go near mine even before she got sick. She only fired the 20 gauge once.
    The 45 on the 22-45 is for the grip being the same as a 1911.

c3shooter likes this.
  15. Psalm1832Gunworks

I was thinking it was a 45 grain bullet.

16. Psalm1832Gunworks

17. Psalm1832Gunworks

JTJ: Awesome advice. Someone else mentioned the Keltec 30. I lookedup some info on the 22WMR ammo, and it seems lethal with a 12-15" penetration. The thing that got me was that with 30 rounds and no recoil, you could perforate the perp handily. Great suggestion! Speaking of .410, Has anyone tried the Rossi Circuit Judge? too heavy? too expensive? Heavy trigger? I noticed you like the Taurus Judge.

18. JTJ

No I dont. It is trying to be a Jack of all trades and is a master of none. The rifled barrel screws up the pattern of the shotgun rounds and it is too bulky for the 45 Colt. I like the shells that were designed for it. They work a lot better in a real shotgun. The revolving rifle was tried years ago and never caught on for some very good reasons. I have checked velocities on them and they are not where they should be.
    Henry makes a lever action 410 shotgun.

19. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve always thought it was because the grip angle is the same as the 45 ACP.

20. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

My wife has somewhat severe RA, so racking is a challenge, but not impossible. Her bedside gun is a Ruger Super Single Six convertible in .22LR/.22WMR. It has the .22WMR cylinder in with CCI Maxi-Mags. It works for her, and she is a dead-eye! She has an SR-22 loaded with Mini-Mags or Velocitors as a back-up.

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380, round chambered and de-cocked. It is DA/SA. A somewhat hard DA pull to get things going, which is a nice, safe feature. Or...for the first shot, just cock the hammer and it is easy - no under-pressure racking needed. First shot is the same as the Super Single Six, but no need to re-cock the hammer after that first round.