Best powder for 45acp

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by fergsgunshop, Dec 30, 2012.

1. fergsgunshop

fergsgunshop New Member

Looking for powder for my 550 dil looking do find a good powder.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like unique for 45acp. it meters well and works great in that cartridge

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any fast to medium pistol powder will work. The .45 is a VERY forgiving cartridge. I have used Red Dot, Blue Dot, 700X, W-231, Unique, and probably a few others over the years. All seem to work just fine

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A can of Unique and a can of Bullseye will get you thru loading 98% of handgun ammo. I like Bullseye for revolvers, Unique for autos, but that is just my tastes.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have found Power Pistol by Alliant to work quite well in all the pistol cartridges i reload and gives very good results as far as accuracy. now how well it meters in a Dillon 550, i have no knowledge of. but you might want to look into it as well.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i ordered a bit of power pistol from powder valley along with primers and a few other things. if i can remember ill post how it goes when i run a batch of 9mm in the xl650

7. Axxe55

i just measure mine on my scale so i can't comment on how well it meters. but i have found it to be a very broad spectrum powder that works quite well in a number of pistol cartridges.

8. earl1412

earl1412 New Member

Have loaded over 10,000 round of 45 ACP using W-231. When shooting conventional pistol competion using a S&W 25-2, indoors 50 ft, 185 LSWC, 4.4 grains. Using a Dillon 550 never had any problems, and was extremely accurate.
    For outdoor 50 yards, used 4.8 grains W-231.
    You may need to bump up the powder usage to make a 1911 function for softball, but the powder always fed correctly, and when measured did not vary.
    YMMV
    Earl

9. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

+1 on win 231. I use it exclusively on 9, 40 and 45. I have a 550b and it meters great. Recently though my reloading shops have been sold out of 231 for a couple months. Ive got 3 1/2 pounds left. Ugh. Had the owner of the shop talk me into trying tite group so I bought a pound. He warned me to pay attention to the stuff because it doesn't take very much grain wise compared to others. Haven't loaded any yet.

10. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Jon I've read on this forum about powder valley. Looked at the site and was surprised how cheap it was. Then I clicked checkout and passed out when I saw the hazmat fee. When you order I'm guessing your doing serious bulk?

11. Axxe55

best way to offset the cos of HazMat fees is to buy in bulk. any online order of powder or primers is going to get a HazMat fee tacked on. i do pay a little more per pound for my powder at my LGS, but it does offset the cost quite a bit.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

yeah im not buying just one can of powder. this order is 10k primers and 12 pounds of powder. lesser quantities i just buy local. yes the wife and i do shoot that much. hazmat is a fixed fee the more you buy the more its offset so i dont order components less im making a big bulk order.

my order is more than the local lgs' have in stock and i dont want to wipe out their supply in one go.

13. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Understandable. That would be a dream order for me! Lol

14. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

That's understandable. Man that would be a dream order for me. The only bulk type order I make is bullets. Usually 1500 a pop. I need to prolly start thinking harder on my stock pile of primers and powder. Usually just carry what I plan on loading at that given time.

15. fergsgunshop

fergsgunshop New Member

Thanks guys I found powder valley and hit it hard. I just ordered a lot my wife my freak but she get over it.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Not a good idea, my friend. cases you can always find. Bullets you can cast or swage.

Powder and primers, you stockpile!:eek:

17. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I'm seeing the error in my ways. I will fix this!

18. Awsar711

Awsar711 New Member

ive been using w231 in my dillon for years works great in my .45 also