best plinker for the money

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Crazvet, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't find it. I want a good quality good shooting rimfire rifle to extend the fun at the range and teach my children to shoot. I prefer a flexible platform tho the S&W 15/22 is pricey and over my budget (tho if I found a used one at a good price)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Who doesn't love a 10/22?

3. paraROCK

paraROCK New Member

Remington 597 very reasonably priced.

Not as many aftermarket upgrades out there compared to the Ruger 10/22, but still a great gun for the money.

4. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Glock,
    The 15/22 IS fun! REALLY fun!
    To learn to shoot, however, I recommend a single shot or at most bolt action rifle. The early foundation of firing process competency is very important to developing good safety habits, event resolution skills, and a respect for firing a weapon. I have a Winchester Wildcat and a very old Savage break over single shot that my kids learned on....both VERY inexpensive rifles, but fully capable of endearing kids to the sport and bringing many smiles...

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

One generally learns to be a better shot when they have to make that shot count. Get him/her a bolt action rimfire, (can be had at walmart for 100 dollars or so). With a semi-automatic, you have so and so many rounds extra to hit that target, that they don't learn the fundamentals.

Listen to TruggieTex :)

6. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I have a old Savage Model 6C that can be locked in single shot that was my first gun I shot, it will be their first as well. I need something to keep their interest(as they inherited my ADHD lol), I know not many 15/22's are sold used but anyone know the best place to look for a good used one?

7. mahall

mahall New Member

Smith 22A for around 300 would my choice!! And someday soon I will choose!! Lol dang 9mm are to expensive to shoot these days!! Couple of boxes of shells and range time>60 bucks or so-:(

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My first rifle was a bolt action .22. A JC Higgins branded Marlin. I've seen them used in pawn shop for under a $100.

Also can check on Marlin model 60 rifles. Good for the money, new or used.

Ruger 10/22 rifles are good when you can get a deal or find one gently used.

Henry and Marlin lever action .22s are great as well, but they can be kind of pricey.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Marlin model 60 is the best bang for the buck. More accurate than the 10/22 out of the box and cheaper.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my suggestion, would be either a Marlin or Savage bolt action, or a Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22 if wanting to go the semi-auto route.

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Is there decent aftermarket support for the Marlin model 60?

12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I'm going to buck the trend in my recommendation. Everyone seems to be fixating on "teach my children to shoot" and ignoring the request for a "flexible platform" and the OP's stated interest in a specific semiauto rifle.

So, if the S&W is outside your budget, I'd recommend either the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. The Marlin is going to be generally a bit better 'out of the box' but the Ruger is still a good rifle and if you think you might like to tinker with your rifle or customize it to your exact tastes the 10/22 is the way to go.

Others have recommended single-shots or bolt-actions as 'teaching guns' and if you want to buy a dedicated gun for that role, there's a lot to be said for them. If you want a multi-purpose rifle, though, the can limiting. If you are concerned about encouraging good marksmanship or trigger discipline it's easy enough to load any repeater one cartridge at a time.

I suppose there is some aftermarket support for the Marlin but it pales to insignificance next to the amount of aftermarket parts and modification available for the 10/22.

13. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

For the time being extended mags are my main concern, that way we can keep the fun going once their good basic shooters

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the difference is that the 1022 NEEDS aftermarket parts to get precise...and work properly...
    (Tuffer Buffer, VQ action parts, Archangel, and a myriad of other manufacturers make better 1022 parts than Ruger does)
    whereas the Marlins whoop booty right out of the box :)

A bone-stock Ruger 1022 is like a Chevy Nova with a 6 cyl...
    runs alright, but does a lot better when you throw a 350 & better suspension parts in...
    note the huge Chevy aftermarket...similar...
    Places like Volquarzen actually make better 1022's than Ruger ever could...but cost around $800 to start.

Marlin gives precision right out of the box, but could use better looks (stocks/shiny toys)...
    Kind of like a Yamaha V-Max...ain't gotta do much but personalize it.
    hence the smaller aftermarket, but better rifle sales.

Wifey's Marlin 60 w/ Boyd's thumbhole stock, SR bipod, pink camo sling & DIP trigger/guard combo
    [​IMG]

The Ruger 1022, created in 1963, has sold around 8 million rifles.
    The Marlin 60, created in 1960, has sold over 16 million rifles...
    The Marlin 795, created in 1996, has sold over 5 million rifles...and is quickly catching the 1022 since the 25-rd mags came out...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  15. Axxe55

very small when compared to the Ruger 10/22. Boyd's Gun Stocks makes a few stocks for it. there are some aftermarket upgrades i think for the trigger. sights and scope rings and such. but nothing like the 10/22. you can build a 10/22 with practically all aftermarket parts.

16. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm a big Yamaha fan so I like Ur example(I ride a FZ1) if I was gonna pay $800+ I'll go w the S&W 15/22. The Marlin is winning so far, I expect a firearm to be accurate out of the box without paying tons of cash, hence Savage is where I normally start looking for a rifle

17. Axxe55

those are pretty much the same suggestions i also make in regards to a semi auto 22. pull it of the box andat most just want to put a scope on it and get to shooting, then go with the Marlin. like to tinker and customize, then get the Ruger.

i bought my model 60 a couple of years ago at my LGS used for $75. it shot great, but was cosmetically challenged. i have about $100 in it right now and it looks great and shoots great. mine was made in about 1980 or 1981.

18. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

$75 sounds great, I never have good luck finding guns used until I buy a new one lol

19. Axxe55

just got to hit the pawn shops and the gun stores. hit them on a regular basis.

20. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Semi auto get a 10/22 as the after market goodies is unreal. Great rifles. I own several.

Bolt action get a Savage or a Marlin and have a ball. I own both and love both but believe the Marlin a bit more accurate though the trigger is better on the Savage.