Best Place to Store Loaded Home Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by grandpag, Jul 28, 2010.

1. grandpag

grandpag New Member

I have most of my firearms locked in a gun safe. But if I need a home defense shotgun, I won't have time to unlock a safe or a trigger lock. I do however have curious grandchildren frequently in my home. So, what are the best options for storing a loaded home defense shotgun considering the need for quick access vs. safety of young curious grand kids?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That is indeed a tough question. I don't have children or grandchildren, so it's not an issue for me. However, there are a number of folks here that do and I'm sure they'll be along soon to give you some good information.

In the meantime, welcome to this great community. When you have a chance, please head over to the New Member introductions forum and introduce yourself to the gang.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Lean that loaded puppy up against the nightstand.

When the kids are coming over, or show up, put it in the safe. (The shotty, not the kids!)

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have kids either, but i USUALLY don't have a shell chambered & doubt a small child could rack the action on my old Mossberg pump 12. I don't know that i could take that chance with a kid, though.

5. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

I don't remember the web site but there's a product out there that holds a shotgun like a horizontal gun rack, but it slides between the matress and boxspings on your bed. Then hand your bed spread over it. Most curious fingers would never notice. Made my own, works great.

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

My Super Nova is mounted above the door and inside my closet. I can easily step in there and reach up and get it, but at the same time it is out of reach and sight for grandkids.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

put a lock on the bedroom door. when they there just lock the door.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Good sir, I don't have kids, and I don't have grandkids by default, so feel free to ignore this if you choose.

I do, however, have a background and an extensive network of people that come in and out of the gunshop where I spend hours listening and trying to learn, who have stories to tell.

In your closet, above the door, is at least one stud and possibly two, where you can drive a couple of screws with a couple of dowels attached that will hold your shotgun ( with the safety on and no round in the chamber just in case of course ) well out of the reach of little ones.

If you need it, you go to the closet with an eye on the door and reach above the closet door for your security needs.

This is subtle, and I have it on good "expert" authority that even people looking to search your closet, won't be looking above the doorjam. :cool:

JD

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Indeed. Great minds Flint. Excellent choice Sir. :p

10. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

There should be a full width header spanning the space above the door, usually 2x8 boards. You should be able to get a rock solid mount without any trouble.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When my kids were young, I taught them that guns were dangerous but not secrets. If they wanted to touch one, all they had to do was ask. I lived in the country so I took them out to my personal range and shot with them around. I invited them to shoot, they rarely took me up on the offer, but the offer was ALWAYS on the table. If they asked about the guns, I made a point to drop what I was doing and show, shoot, etc whatever they wanted.

Education is the key. Locking up the gun or hiding it does not remove the curiosity. Unless you lock the gun up 100% of the time they are around, EVENTUALLY they will get a hold of the gun. They MUST understand it is not a toy or some sort of fascinating, taboo object. That is too tempting to kids.

12. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

robocop10mm has the best method....teach the young ones about firearms! All of our grandkids are continually schooled on firearm safety and we shoot regularly when they visit. Our five year old grandaughter has a pair of cap pistols that are treated as real guns and they reside in the safe along with her brothers rifles and our firearms. She is not allowed to handle them unless we're with her and we reinforce the "trigger, muzzle, safe-spot" continually. Eventually she will progress to air-powered guns and then .22's.

To the OP, I keep an 870 under the bed and several handguns in various drawers.....when the kids are around the guns go in the safe except for the LCP I keep in my pocket.