Best place To buy 6.8 barrels?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fireman1296, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

Who makes the best barrels in 6.8? I need a 20 inch... I heard good things about AR Performance but they aren't making anything longer than 16 inches right now.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

There's a reason. There is no real benefit by going that long.

3. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for a good manufacturer. I know what I need for my build.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's not an opinion. ARP is a great manufacturer and they don't make a 20" barrel for a reason. The owner is a very knowledgeable person and I'm sure he'd be willing to educate you.

So tell me what you think you'll gain w/ the added length besides weight? And I'm not wanting opinion.

5. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

For 6.8 SPC barrels, I would look into Harrison from AR Performance, Ben from Bison Armory, Noveske, Lothar Wather, or White Oaks Armament. I don't know if you'll find a 20" barrels though. There is no significant advantages in the ballistics of the 6.8 SPC round in longer barrels as there are in other calibers, but to each there own. Should you find something different, just make sure the barrels are manufactured with the latest SPC II specs and have a minimum of 1:11 barrel twist.

6. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

BTW, if you want to ask Harrison (AR performance) or Ben (Bison Armory), you should have an easier time getting ahold of them through the 68forums...just google it.

7. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

16"is optimum, you might find 18"barrels, but as an owner of a 20" (now thankfully sold) all it is is weight. I shot exclusively out of my ARP 16" and my 20" just sat in the safe, not even a bench rifle anymore.

And not to cast stones, but if you knew what you needed, why ask? Call H at ARP - he'll discuss with you why he no longer offers a 20"...or call Ben at Bison. Obvioulsy those of us, like vmkeith, mjkeith or me have no idea what we're talking about.

8. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

As was mentioned, 16" barrels are optimum for the 6.8 SPC cartridge. You'll only get an extra 25-50 fps in velocity out of an 18" barrel, and 50-75 fps out of a 20" barrel. I don't see any reason for wanting a 20" barrel except for long range shooting, and if that is your purpose, you should seek a different caliber. The 6.8 SPC was designed as an intermediate, medium range round. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of extreme 6.8 fanatics trying to extend the round's capabilities, but it has taken a lot of trial and error.

9. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

I've talked to Ben at Bison, and yes I will be going with a 20" barrel chambered in 6.8. I don't care about weight, and I don't want a different caliber. Yes I'm shooting long distance and I want all the fps I can get. I appreciate the suggestion to go with Bison, they have been a lot of help in answering my questions and getting the barrel I need.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

So what did he say you'd gain by going w/ the extra 4"?

11. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

I'm not trying to criticize...well, not too much...it's all about staying informed. If you've talked with Ben, then you are informed. I'm just curious, with all the reading I've done with the 6.8 SPC cartridge, and opinions I've gotten from other 6.8 shooters and manufacturers, what did Ben tell you about using a 20" barrel other than getting the extra velocity?

12. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

+1 for Harrison at ARP. Mine shoots sub moa with factory ammo.

13. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

20" will maximize my rang and add 50+ fps (depending on the load of course). It WILL add weight but that's not a concern of mine. I've already got several other calibers for varmint and hog hunting (including a couple other AR's) and basically this is going to be something new to hunt with. After emailing Bison and talking with the people at AR Performance, and speaking with a couple of 6.8 owners I'm confident with my decision.

14. fireman1296

fireman1296 New Member

ARP does offer an 18 and a 20. I spoke with them. They just don't make as many of them obviously because 16 are way more popular. I simply wouldn't want to have another 16, I like to have choices.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wonder why 16" is more popular?

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The guy wants to build a 20. So let him build a 20 and stop hounding him. :rolleyes:

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I has nothing to do w/ you wanting to do something out of the norm. It's a pros vs. cons thing. You created this thread. If you didn't want the opinions of others you shouldn't have asked. We were trying to help you out you just didn't like what everyone had to say. You don't have to call names because people were honest and accurate in their advise.

Did you miss the question mark at the end of my sentence?Are we not allowed to ask questions anymore?

You comment on my question but make no reference to his name calling? As moderatoror don't you think that is a little odd considering this is a knowledge based forum? Kinda sounds like someone is being singled out. Fair and impartial?

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

The OP asked for advice on where to get a 20" barrel for his 6.8 build. He did not request opinions on his preferred length. Regardless, he followed unsolicited advice by talking to the recommended manufacturers and still wants his 20" barrel. Nuff Said...Geeze.

Mod was perfectly inbounds suggesting you back off, IMHO.

Fireman, good luck with your build.

All, someone asked about the benifit of the extra 4"?
    ...Answer, ONE HAPPY LADY!:)

Tack

19. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Fireman, since you are set on getting a 20" barrel make sure you are getting the correct gas system length. With the 20" barrel, I believe you need go with a full rifle length, but don't quote me on that.

One question, are you doing this build yourself or just putting in an order with Bison Armory? Either way, good luck. I'll be curious about your results, especially if you're building the rifle for long range, so give us a range report when you're finished.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Show me one single instance where I claimed to know it all.

How many people in this thread said the same thing I did? Thconsensusus was that the extra 50 fps is not worth the cons produces by the extra length. The fact that the two most well know manufacturers of 6.8 don't offer it on their site.

I asked a simple question as to the popularity of the 16" 6.8 barrel. I don't care that you called us all names. It's going to happen when people ask questions and don't care to hear the answers. It's a public forum and humans winstinctivelyivly share their opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.