Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
As of right now, it only needs 260 more votes to be officially reviewed and ignored.

-----
Got that backwards. It only had 260 votes. A long way to go to be officially ignored.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'll sign it, but it will be ignored. The big hole in the 2nd ammendment (correct me here if I'm wrong) is what are considered arms? The 2nd doesn't define this? To the anti's.... a single shot blackpowder pistol fills the bill.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Sonic82 said:
I'll sign it, but it will be ignored. The big hole in the 2nd ammendment (correct me here if I'm wrong) is what are considered arms? The 2nd doesn't define this? To the anti's.... a single shot blackpowder pistol fills the bill.
I signed it as well, and felt the same way you do.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just signed, its at 9,641 now.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Arms in 18th century language was generally meant to describe a weapon, especially a weapon of war. The 2A's intent was to protect the human right of self defense by guaranteeing every citizen the unfettered right to remain ready and able to engage in battle, against the government if necessary, i.e.,"the right to keep and bear arms."

Present arms, call to arms, etc are reflective of that usage. Generally speaking arms is understood today to mean small arms such as handguns and rifles that can be carried into battle although use of the term "Arms Race" to describe nuclear proliferation certainly lends itself to a broader meaning. Fortunately for us all the Constitution does not limit the 2A to a right to keep and bear single shot musket.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Arms in 18th century language was generally meant to describe a weapon, especially a weapon of war. The 2A's intent was to protect the human right of self defense by guaranteeing every citizen the unfettered right to remain ready and able to engage in battle, against the government if necessary, i.e.,"the right to keep and bear arms."

Present arms, call to arms, etc are reflective of that usage. Generally speaking arms is understood today to mean small arms such as handguns and rifles that can be carried into battle although use of the term "Arms Race" to describe nuclear proliferation certainly lends itself to a broader meaning. Fortunately for us all the Constitution does not limit the 2A to a right to keep and bear single shot musket.
I'll buy that...but those opposed won't. They have a different interpretation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts