Best Owl shock gobble calls?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Mouser, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

To clarify my definition of "best"....ease of use/replication of a barred Owl and volume...I have a flute style call and it doesn't do either well imo...thoughts and opinions?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What is that call used for?

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Too garner a response from a male turkey.

4. winds-of-change

I don’t understand what a barred owl call has to do with attracting turkeys.

5. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

In the wee hours of morning, at day break, a male turkey will sometimes gobble, sometimes not. A hunter, me in this case, wants to hear the position of a turkey so I can close the distance and put myself in an advantageous spot to call them in, imitating a female turkey looking for companionship. In nature, the female goes to the male, not the other way around which is why turkey hunting is so challenging... and I don't want to start yelping until I'm in position. If I get a response after yelping, get a gobble in response, but it is too far then if I close the distance and call to him he will think I'm coming and sit tight...I have a poor record against ole Tom when this happens...now have him gobble, me close to about 100 yds and yelp, purr and cluck a bit...he is very likely to fly down and approach me which usually ends in turkey dinner.

Anyways, a turkey will sometimes gobble in response to a barred owl...so a loud call that is easy to use is an advantage to a turkey hunter. I've tried a few and been mostly disappointed with either the volume of the call or the authenticity of the hoot. I can do a call by mouth probably better but I just can't do it loud enough. Trial and error is expensive so I'm hoping some experience turkey hunters will share their favorite call. Also, a crow call can work and one time as I left my position not hearing anything, when I shut my door on the my truck a turkey gobbled at me...I put my gear back on, high tailed it into the woods and shot that bird not 10 minutes after he gobbled...that just doesn't happen too often though. This season, I've not heard many gobbles at all unfortunately.

winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Any loud noise will get a shock gobble out of strutting gobblers.

I used a crow call to good effect for years.

7. winds-of-change

Ah, okay. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I had no idea.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Winds
    Here is another reason Turkeys will Gobble at the sound of an Owl!
    PREDATORS OF THE WILD TURKEY. The wild turkey faces a diverse array of predator species, and these predator species vary in their mode of search and capture. True predators or carnivores, actively search and kill living prey. These include bobcats, hawks, owls, eagles, and all snakes.

Some might say "why snakes"? I would assume that Turkeys consider snakes a predator because the snakes will also raid their Nests and eat the eggs! I would also add Crows to the list regarding the eggs. I have personally seen Crows locate a Painted Water Turtles Nest in my yard. Since the turtles will come up from the lake, dig their nests then cover the eggs back up and go back to the lake. The Crows find the nests and will dig up the nest and eat the turtle eggs. Two Crows lost their lives the last time I caught them doing that!;)

winds-of-change likes this.
  9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Been playing with owls the last several weeks - trying to imitate by mouth. We have two who've chosen our house as their mating spot. Most every night we have one in a dead tree on one side of the house, another in a huge oak on the other side of the house. They are LOUD. I'd like to say my calling is what brought them, but suspect it's chickens. Haven't heard a turkey answer them so far this year - but today was the turkey season opener 27 degrees with spitting snow. No gobbles at all.

Mouser likes this.