Best options for carry without printing

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by capnklump, Mar 21, 2013.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

So anyways, I got my CCW a couple weeks ago, & after carrying for awhile in certain places & situations, I notice that I print sometimes if I'm not wearing a shirt that is extremely baggy, even though its a subcompact pistol (Springfield XD-40 sub) & IWB Crossbreed holster. I think the double stack thickness gives it away.. What are your best concealable carry options, balancing the concealable, and power? It would need to be single stack, & I do understand that height of frame is a factor to consider when choosing a firearm for concealed carry. Preferrably in either one of the calibers: 9mm, .40s&w, or .45acp, Thanks

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think you're being paranoid. I'm sure plenty carry this gun IWB in same holster.

If you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, you've come to enablers corner m'friend!

Single stack alone should be enough to better conceal. S for what exactly, what do you like? Trigger type? Hammer/hammerless? Safety/non? Long/short? Floating barrel/fixed? All metal... steel, aluminum/polymer?

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a little bigger shirt is in order? I don't wear baggy clothes. I carry mostly outside the waist band. I can hide a full sized 1911 as well as a S&W Sigma or a 629. Perhaps what you call printing would not be noticed by anyone but one of us.

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Exactly...!

5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Get a IPDA shooting vest, they were designed for concealment and fast easy access to your gun.
    or use a IWB type holster.

6. bohunter85

bohunter85 New Member

Full size 1911 here. I carry at 3-4 o'clock with a forward tilt so the handle is pointing closer to straight up. I don't print on a under armor heat gear t-shirt.

7. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

While I have not Gotten my ccw yet (plan to fairly soon) ... I understand how you feel. Practicing around my house..i feel as though I am printing ....may def. Be a function of how I am dressed, or perhaps just the fact that I know its there.

8. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I would consider carrying for a few more weeks and become more comfortable. Like it was mentioned earlier,only someone who is carrying, notices someone else who is carrying. Unless someone obviously sees a gun or your being careless, most won't know

9. bohunter85

bohunter85 New Member

Oh, Sometimes carrying iwb I'll clip my phone over my ccw. And that will give people something to look at if I print accodently

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

IWB, 4 oclock , forward cant.. The grip lays tightly against me body.

11. chrishiggin29

chrishiggin29 Member

I 2nd that. Most people when they first start carrying go threw this. You think everybody can see your pistol or everybody's watchin you. Keep on carrying you'll become comfortable and it'll be come 2nd nature

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The biggest cause of being spotted is probably becuase the ccw person cant leave their gun alone. If you keep messing with it or looking down at it, you can plan on being noticed.

13. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I would say give it time, and carry around the house if you need to get used to it. I changed holsters after about a year the other day. Spent most of the day working in the yard this weekend, and by the end of the day, I was more worried about sore legs than my new carry.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm always entertained by Springfield's description of a "sub-compact". There is nothing sub-compact about any of the XD's or XDM's.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

This is Oh so true

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Bingo m'friend!

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Kahr PM or CM line...

Under 1" wide... 4" tall... Deep concealed in a belly band worn low around the hips.

PM 9 has been my EDC for 5 years now with no printing.

PM line runs about $620
    CM line runs about $420

Both are available in 9 mm or .40 S&W

Tack

18. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I want to try the xds

19. capnklump

capnklump New Member

Thanks Tack, I'll check it out.

20. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I also am interested about the XDS! The .45 is quite a nifty BG stopper, but a 5 round mag doesn't impress me much. But when the 9mm comes available, that would make it a little more interesting.