best optics for my shtf levergun

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Tailypoe, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

:confused:
    note : I currently reside in and am planning on moving to a country that doesn't allow ppl my age to own non-"civillian" rifles ...
    Hi, I'm looking at the options for my marlin 45 / 70 lever rifle. Its prime use would be as a general hunting / defense rifle in a SHTF / shtf situation. I'm pondering the best optics configuration for rapid and sure elimination of immediate threats, while still allowing for accurate hunting. I can dream.
    :p
    Everyone I talk to likes ghost rings for self-defense, and I find them to be fast and reliable.
    ... I've heard of ppl putting a scope high up on the rifle, so u can peep at the ghost sights under it. Is there a way to quickly mount / dismount a scope for hunting / long range ? 45-70 Bullets are precious ... What do y'all think ? I'm thinking the standard ghost iron sights are my best bet, but I'd like some added long-range functionality in there too.
    Red dots aren't out of the question, but they are very expensive. ...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The price range you are in would be alot of help and so would your rifles model #

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

3. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

The MARLIN 1895SBL comes with the ( i think ) drilled scout scope mount on a nice picatinny-style rail.

I don't know how great that rail is for " tactical " ar15 accessories ...

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

That helps alot. That rail is very good for accessories. Now i just need to the price range your looking for

5. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

The reason I'm not talking about an m14 is Argentina doesn't allow ppl my age to own non-"civillian" rifles ...

I'm not concerned with price, just want to know the best type of configuration. The one I get would have to be well-made.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then look at millet, osprey or any other scout scope.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member