Best old battle rifle (aside from the M14/M1A)

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Garandman1945, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I'm sure this topic has been done to death but...

If you were thinking about getting a historic (but still reliable) semi-auto battle rifle on a budget, what model would you opt for ASIDE FROM THE M1A (for cost reasons).

Ones I have thought of include:
    -AR-10
    -FN FAL
    -FN 49
    -SVT 40
    -MAS 49
    -Gewehr 43

Grading is based on price, reliability, and cost of ammo.

GO!

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

And you left the Garand off the list. Shame, shame, change your name!

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do you not consider the SKS a battle rifle? Granted, it is a carbine....

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I consider Battle rifle to be a full-on rifle cartridge in the 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, 7.62x54R range, intended to be fired according ot old doctrine out to distances of 1000 meters in volley fire. that would put rifles with cartridges like the 8mm Kurtz, the 7.62x39, and 5.56 NATO in the intermediate rifle/Assault rifle(per military definition, not media definition) category. The 7.62 NATO was kind of a US miss on the intermediate cartridge concept as it was still somewhat overpowered for the intermediate role. So, there could be some debate on whether teh 7.62 NAto is a battle rifle cartridge or an "assault rifle" cartridge. (I personally think it fits better in the battle rifle category).

To the OP: On your list I think the FAL/L1A1 would be on my short list of significant battle rifles. The AR-10 didn't really catch on for wide use, militarily, but they are good rifles. Teh FN49 is a sweet shooter in 7x57 Mauser, but is still kind of obscure (really well made, and and example of some great craftsmanship). The others I don't have much familiarity with "hands on".

What about the old bolt rifles? M98 Mauser, 96 Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, Mosin Nagant, Schmidt Ruben, etc.? Those were truely battle rifles.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Theres also the HK91 or PTR.

I've shot one once, liked it a lot, always liked the look of an FAL, no experience with them though.

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

My favorite---US RIFLE Cal. 30 M1. Or if you wish, the Garand.

Jim...

Attached Files:

7. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Calm down everyone! I should have explained, the Garand is not on the list because I already have one in the arsenal! (All original, mint, Feb of '45) best damn gun I own. I'm looking for a nice buddy for it...

And I do have an SKS, but I left it off the list because of caliber...

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

If you are going to shoot the heck out of it---FAL. Been around darned near everywhere
    for a long time, good parts availability, reasonable ammo.

If you want something that people will go WOW! about when you drag it out, but you really
    won't shoot it much---from way out in left field---SIG manufactured 7x57 Mondragon.:)

9. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I don't know you ruled out the M-14 as a choice. I think it would make a great companion for your Garand, they could sit there and swap old war tales. (LOL)

But you could be right and the Garand might get jealous of the youngster.

Jim

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to go with the AR-10 or the FAL. You left the BAR out,...now THAT one can swap stories with the Garand.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

aka the G3. I agree it needs to be on this list.

12. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

Oh, I want an M1A pretty badly, I just can't afford a $1,300 gun!

That's why price is an important factor.

13. DrFootball

My first one was $779 in 1992, and I Bought the E2 2 years later for about $900. Now the cheapest I see them new is $1195...for an "F" Model with glass on it....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  14. pat701

pat701 New Member

I am with Sputnik HK-91 or PTR:cool::D

15. DrFootball

PTR is pretty Good. I have shot a friends HK 93, and another had a G3 Semi. Again, my Fave is the BAR...

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

The ar10 was never a battle rifle. It was a prototype.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would respectfully disagree. The AR-10 was produced and issued to the armed forces in Portugal and Sudan (IIRC). There were limited numbers and they may not have participated in actual "battles", but that is not the criteria use for defining "Battle Rifle".

IMHO, a battle rifle is a shoulder fired, man portable, detachable box magazine fed, air cooled rifle chambered in a full power caliber.

A Garand does not quite qualify, but gets included by many because of its ground breaking innovation and deadly effectiveness in two wars. Some will include Bolt actions like the K98k Mauser and various renditions of the Lee-Enfield and Mosin Nagant rifles, but I disagree with them

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Battle rifles and assault rifles are as different as apples and oranges, as pointed out above!;)

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

FN 49.

But I have to agree,

the Garand and SKS are

a couple of "Boo-yah! Let's ROCK!"

rifles...

20. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I love my Garand and sks, and it's my love for these old gems that makes me personally lean towards the FN 49, though I've only seen them in shops and never gotten to fire one... yet.