Best NON +p .38special?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by circa81, Apr 23, 2013.

1. circa81

circa81 New Member

It seams to be that out of an airweight snub, +p .38 specials might not be worth the ballistic gain. First, does anyone carry regular .38's in their snubbies, and if so, what do you think is the best type?

2. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

at the moment what ever you can get
    currently my vintage s&w chief special i loaded with just as old school as the gun winchester 158gr lead flat nose
    allthow im on the look out for Hornady Critical Defense ammo
    [​IMG]

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

A lot of people, including old time police officers that have been involved in shootings will still tell you that the old .38 wadcutters are the best fight stoppers, and even hardcast wadcutters if you can find them, whether any of this is true or not, I have no clue personally.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Wadcutters, when loaded to comparable specs, transfer more energy due to their design. They don't slice into tissue, they bull their way in. At least that was the theory. The Hatcher table seems to support this. Personally, I always liked the SWC hollow points at 158 grains for .357 or .38, but I only used a 4 inch barrel with these.

5. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

There is a 38 special round available than is loaded specifically for a snub nose. I can't remember the brand and/or other detail but maybe another member might? I will ask my sister as I think she has it loaded in her Lady Smith.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

IIRC Speer makes a short barrel specific Gold Dot. Buffalo Bore has some too, I believe.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes, I like the Speer short barrel Gold dot load.

8. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

I'd like to offer my $.02. It's my understanding regarding wadcutters is use a hollow base wc and reload it backwards. Also, I have a snubby and have gone thru quite a bit of ammo. Look up Magsafe Bullets. Very fast and low weight bullets that are hand friendly and are defensive rounds.

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I've done wadcutters that way. It's very impressive. The recipe I used called for a gas check, CCI 550 magnum primers, and 2400 powder. For the life of me I can't remember how much powder, which is probably a good thing.

In today's world I would hesitate to use anything but a factory load out of fear of litigation, but those reversed wadcutters were some nasty little things. *sigh* Those were the good old days.

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I think you should be fine with any of the new offerings from major bullet makers. Look at federal hydra-shok and hirnady critical defense. Both of those come in non +p options and are very popular. Just buy a few different ones and try them out at the range. The one you like should be the one you buy. :)

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Federal 110 grain reduced recoil hydrashock, hornady 110 grain critical defense (be sure to grab the non +p), federeal 125 grain nyclad.

12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I just bought 2 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr., FTX +P. I have a 4" bbl. Mod. 19 and a 2 1/2" Ladysmith, would I not want to use the +P's in the snubby, or is just not worth the extra cost and recoil?

13. danolator

danolator New Member

I carry my old Rossi snubby sometimes. No issues with HP or wad cutters. The manual says don't shoot +P.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

The alloy charter arms snubbies say the same in the manual.
    @eatmydust, check the manual or call s&w and ask if its safe, if it is then fire a cylinder worth and see how it handles.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013