Best Newbie Training?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by GlockBurg, Feb 23, 2013.

1. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Two weeks ago I became a brand-new first time handgun owner. I have applied and received my CCW And am really looking to get training... I am looking to the experienced members of this forum to help guide me on what is the best type of training and frequency?

2. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

most ranges offer a Basic handgun class, Marksman (or advanced )class, and a personal defense class. Call your local ranges and inquire.
    Some even do make and model specific training

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

First a safety course. Then a basic marksmanship course. Nerding out in books and on the Internet helps too.

4. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Call some local ranges for a safety course, a self defense course.
    Then in your own time practice practice practice.
    You can assemble dissemble, dry fire, draw and reholster all without burning up ammo!

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That depends on what type of training you want!:confused:

7. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

General handling as well as personal and home defense training

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

What firearms experience do you have?

9. AOK

AOK New Member

First of all congrats on getting your ccw and kudos to you for seeking out some training.

Did you have to take a state required class for your ccw? If it is not required in your state it may still be a good idea to find one from a reputable school where you learn not just safety but also learn about your state laws. Those two things are first and VERY important.

After this I'd recommend a good fundamental handgun class where you learn how to properly press the trigger, use the sights, proper follow through, etc. THEN start getting into defensive firearm classes where you learn how to run your gun, different tactics, etc.

Best of luck on your endeavours!

10. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Thank you so much

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Make a list of your local gun stores. Do an online search for them and see what services they offer. One of my very local stores does firearms training and the guy doing the training is a retired police trainer. So, I think I will take his course even though I have had my carry permit for some time.

12. gfroniewski

gfroniewski New Member

What state are you in that allowed you to get a CHL in what sounds like no time at all?

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

MS you can. Merica.

14. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Virginia is very easy

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

NC is pretty quick with concealed carry permits. Lots of people get a confirmation letter well before they expected to receive the good news.

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

Here are three video's that will start you down the right path - - - find a good local range and sign up for their NRA classes - - - you owe it to yourself and family.

Be safe and have fun, may you never need to use the skills you willl aquire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=youtu.be
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part One

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg[/ame]
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs&feature=player_embedded#!
    This is by Barry Laws

17. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Three ‘courses’:

One, basic firearm safety course. The NRA website is good for finding one. http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Two, marksmanship principles & practice. I’ve found a few rounds frequently are better than lots of rounds infrequently.

Three, moral, legal and other implications of actually carrying and, god forbid, using your handgun. Legal can depend on your location.

18. gfroniewski

gfroniewski New Member

Wow! Texas takes at least 8 weeks after the class to receive the license...

19. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As a general rule to keep in mind, you can never have enough firearms training or experience. An accomplished expert can still fall victim to complacency. Get into a beginner course and get gun-handling safety drilled into your head and become completely familiar with the workings of your firearm and its mechanisms. Gun stores and shooting ranges in your area should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to the world of gun ownership. Along with great responsibility comes amazing fun.

20. GlockBurg

GlockBurg New Member

Thank you, that is great advice and I will keep on with my training