Best Military News I've Heard Lately

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by HOSSFLY, Jan 12, 2013.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

[​IMG]

These guys are truly Semper Fi

AS OF TUESDAY , DEC 4, A BILL HAS BEEN PASSED BY THE US HOUSE AND SENATE THAT DECLARES THAT OUR MILITARY WORKING DOGS OF ALL BREEDS WILL NO LONGER BE CLASSIFIED AS "MILITARY EQUIPMENT" TO BE LEFT BEHIND IN FOREIGN LANDS...BUT AS MILITARY VETERANS. THESE DOGS NOW WILL BE RETURNING TO LACKLAND AFB , FOR THEIR SERVICES AS US HEROES. THEY WILL BE EVALUATED, AND RETRAINED AND RE-HOMED IF NEEDED.

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Look at the head on that, beautiful.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary about dogs in service, and one of the most powerful interviews I saw, was a veteran, and the conversation was like, "Me and my crew were fired on, I lost a few friends in the ambush. 2 guys next to me got shot," Then he starts choking up and crying, trying to tell how his dog died in the ambush. Damn if dogs don't have a special bond with people.

Awesome report.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Oooooooh rah!!!! They are soldiers too. So of course they shouldmt be left behind

5. jgoertz

jgoertz New Member

When my 16 yr old dog passes, I will have to go on meds for a month.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Did they really have to pass a bill on that? Common sense and Semper Fi is enough to have the most loyal creature on earth brought back home safely.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

That is a good thing they're doing. Thanks for the post Hoss.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is awesome. I want to adopt one.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Awesome...these dogs give there lives for our servicemen and deserve to be retired into a loving home.

I had to put down my cherished Chocolate Lab a few years back. Old girl was terrified of the Vet so having them do it was out of the question.

She and I had a beautiful day on the mountain...just like when she was a pup.

The day ended with me putting here down and a proper burial...she never saw it coming and left this world as happy as the day she entered it.

...but I'd be lying if I said I did not cry like a 6 year old when I did it.

Toughest thing I've ever had to do.

Tack

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its only right that the dogs are returned home and re homed as necessary. Reminds me of a story in the UK press a wile ago.

Attached Files:

12. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

wait....did we ever actually leave our working dogs overseas when we "bug out"? that makes no sense...

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We have a large military presence in this area. There have been several fundraisers around here to get dogs flown home. I am very happy these dogs now have a seat on the plane coming home.

14. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

That is so sad, but you did it right. I'm misty eyed thinking about it.

15. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I always hated the way that military dogs were looked at by bean counters. Glad to see it changed. I too can't believe they had to pass a bill on it to get it done.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Did the same for my Sheba two yrs ago-
    Admit I still get babyfied when I'm out back at her grave-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  17. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I grew up with the same breed of dog that was used to take out Bin Laden. It was a Belgian shepherd, also called a Malinois. His name was Garcon, but we all called him Carson. He never let anyone get near me and one look at his dark face kept the people away easily. They're not as large as German shepherds, but are very strong and don't seem to mind being held by a soldier when jumping from a plane. I think they've become the most popular breed in the military. We had him for 17 years and I sure miss him a lot. I have a photo of me at 6 years old with him over my desk. Damn I really do miss him!

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cuda- yes we did. And guys- when the time comes, you do the right thing. That is part of being the grownup in the room. And subbing it out to someone else does not make it better.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well said & very true.
    It never crossed my mind to allow anyone else to be the last person to touch my friend---

20. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Come on guys, please enough, cut it out I'm depressed enough. I have a jack russell that'll be 11 on Jan 22nd that I'm worried sick over. My last dog was a cairn terrier that was a double for Toto in the Wizzard of Oz. Had her 19 years and I'm still devastated! Wanna be depressed click on www.rainbowbridge.com
    It'll make a grown man cry!