Best mid size sedan $30,000 or under?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by steadyshot, Oct 19, 2013.

1. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I'm thinking about a new car. It will be a sedan, mid size.

It must have good power and handling and be fun to drive.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

In 2011 my wife and I bought a new Chevrolet Malibu. It is a 4 cylinder. She likes it. I have driven it a few times. Does ok. It's not the V6 version though. Make way better gas mileage than the 2000 jeep Cherokee limited with AWD and a V8.
    We test drove.the V6 version of the Malibu. It's pretty nasty for what it is. She said she was fine with the 4 cylinder. It also has the 6 speed transmission.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No idea of price- but my current company ride is a Ford Taurus 6 cylinder. Sucker is QUICK- will lay you back in the seat. Excellent handling. Comfortable ride. have had 2 other Tauruses as company cars- NOTHING like this one. Still finding all the bells and whistles on this one.

Just a thought- go to website for Insurance Institute for Highway Traffic safety- Nonprofit supported by the insurance companies. They are the folks that do the crash testing and safety rating of different cars.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

They are very nice, iirc they run in the upper 20k range. Up to like 36k for the supercharged SHO. *drool*

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I like the Malibu, but I LOVE the Nissan Maxima!
    End of year you cna always pick up base models for udner 30k new.

We're taking a fantasic and "bulletproof" CVT transmission mated to the famous 290 hp VQ35.

The interior looks like a modernized mix of a 70's S Class Mercedes with a early 90's Infiniti Q45.
    In other words good looking in a no nonsense teutonic way.

@0 gallon fuel tank too.
    Despite being a large and powerful Sedan I get 27 mpg on the hiway on a trip where i keep the needle mostly above 85 mph.
    20 Gallon fuel tank too!

Love it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You probably couldn't call it mid-size, but my V-6 Charger SXT Plus has plenty of power and is a lot of fun to drive. Mine is pretty much loaded, and it came out at $32K sticker. They can be had for under $30 without a lot of sacrifices. The best part is the 8 speed transmission which gives me 32-33 mpg highway.

If that is too big for you, consider the Avenger with the V-6. You can get well within the budget and load it up very well. I don't know if the Avenger is rear wheel drive, but the Charger is.

7. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

We rented a 2013 Taurus V6 from Hertz and hammered 3000+ miles on it on a road trip
    in May. (Oregon to Grand Canyon and back, with side trips)

I was stunned. Nice car, leather and power EVERYTHING. Wife's daily driver is a
    supercharged Riviera, and the Taurus would kick it's butt. Averaged 28.6 mpg for
    the trip, which was far from all freeway and we had it loaded down with a
    trunk full of guns and ammo. Only thing I didn't like was the touch screen
    interface----it takes some getting used to and is about like texting when it comes
    to taking your attention away from where it should be.

I've pretty much been a GM guy for quite a while, but that Taurus got my attention.

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Before we bought out Malibu I was searching for a Pontiac G8. That's a good one to have.

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Kia Optima or Ford Fusion. Good power, fun to drive and lots of bells and whistles available. I have heated and air conditioned front seats on my Optima. They are both around $29-30 very well equipped.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

11. sputnik1988

Toyota?:p

Most American car on the road.:(

It's sad really.

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

A Nissan Altima has more american made parts than a Ford F150.
    I read that report recently, now I cant find it.

Jim

13. sputnik1988

As does a Honda shadow over a Harley Davidson... Genuine HD parts made in Germany and Japan.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

GM/Chrysler have been dead to me ever since the bailout. I never even considered one.

My Kia was built in Georgia.

15. indy36

indy36 New Member

The sport edition Toyota Camry. 33+ mpg and will run forever. Holds resale value better than any Ford and more reliable than any Nissan. They don't break, like ever.

16. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Hey, Hey... I am on my third Nissan, and I have yet to EVER spend one dollar on any repairs.
    I own a Nissan Altima 2013 , ,get 38-40 mpg on hwy, avg 35-36 running around, ( its the trans)
    had it 1 year , not a single problem.

I wouldnt be surprised if its voted Car of the Year.

Toyotas are great cars , but there is no reason to knock Nissan.

Jim

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Don't be putting down my Canadian Charger.

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If you are seriously looking at new cars, you need to look at new car dealers, too. Whatever car you decide to buy, you are going to have to get along with the dealer. Do your research. How are they ranked for repairs. Do they do it right the first time? Is the shop clean? Your state department of motor vehicles may have a list of upheld complaints against a dealer, too. Check with them.

Regarding the Kia Optima. My daughter got one for a loaner when her car was in the shop. She loved it. I didn't drive it, but the trim level was very impressive, and it passed the butt test. To do the butt test you have to flop down in the seat. If your bottom bottoms out from lack of padding, it will be very uncomfortable on a trip.

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm gonna suggest my car which you might be able to find for around 30 now. It's a 2008 Audi S4. V8 power at 340 horses out of a 4.2L, all wheel drive, Audi safety, great interior, and one of the best handling cars I've driven. We got it for 40k with 15k miles back in February 2011. Only down side is the gas mileage isn't the best ever..

Attached Files:

20. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Lots of very good suggestions... I appreciate them all.